• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where Do I Start

Decalguynick1

I have been making vinyl decals for about 6 years now. I would like to start exploring my options for printed graphics and wraps. I really don't know where to start. I see there are many companies that have wrap application training courses but what I really want to do is see the production stages of the wrap process. From printing, to laminating, to cutting, etc. I have applied one color wraps using Avery Supreme Wrapping film on a few different things with no issues. I really hate to spend money on a large printer and plotter without having some instruction from a professional first.

I would mostly be doing printed promotional stickers, and graphics for dirtbikes, snowmobiles, etc. However I want to ease into large vehicle wraps, as I already do cut/layered decals on many trucks and enclosed trailers for clients.

2B

use a vendor who does the production for you, there are several listed on the merchants tab.

this lets you have more time to sale / design / install

FYI dirtbikes / snowmobiles / ATV / ETC require different material than a standard vehicle wrap.

Decalguynick1

I would be willing to pay for a class I just really want to learn how to do it...Just can't find online where to go.... I've used vendors before... I have applied many Graphics kits on snowmobiles and ATVs so I know just from handling them the material is way different

mmblarg

Out of curiosity, what type of decals have you been making? Since you are curious about production and not the installation part, I'm not sure where your jumping off point is with what you know already and what you need to know. Are you needing to know about the printers, inks, material, graphic prep?

For us (and probably most) everything we know came from trial and error - the more you do similar projects, the more you learn what can be done and can't be. (When I was being trained on the job, I was given the basic info and then set out to figure things out on my own. My manager who trained me would watch me set up a project that I would later install and let me make really hard to work with mistakes because physically messing up is the best teacher... ha)

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
The reason I posted on this forum is because I was hoping someone would have went to one or know of one they could recommend. All the classes I could find were more about the application I would like to see the production process.

Production process? Same as any other vinyl production process. Print the graphics, laminate the graphics.
You want help with pre-production? You'll get a buttload of different opinons, as to what design software to use, template making, setting up for tiling, overlap, etc. There's a lot to learn, and it can't be taught in a response on a sign forum.

Decalguynick1

That is why I was wondering if there was some sort of class available. I have just been making decals with a plotter then weeding them, and covering with transfer tape, there's no ink involved. There's so many different types of programs, types of ink, different types of printers / plotters, and so many different ways to do everything it's just not something that I want to invest $30,000 into and experiment with trial and error. I have never laminated anything before either. I understand there's going to be a lot of trial and error, I had a lot of that just with regular decals but vinyl is pretty inexpensive. It would be nice to know the basics and I understand that a forum can't teach me that, that's why I was looking for advice on a class of some sort. I use Corel draw for making my .eps images for cutting and also for making images for screen printing shirts.

Harry182

I came from a background similar to yourself, worked in a sports shop doing tshirt vinyls for football kits using Corel draw.

Left there and joined a sign company and now run a vinyl printing machine (latex L28500) and a flat bed printer (Arizona 360) as well as laminating. Also help out in the old sports Shop who recently got a roland Versa Camm.

Switching over was a bit daunting at first but it's near enough the same thing just on a bigger scale. Rather then cutting multiple coloured vinyls, you can just print them then cut them. Not to mention other things you can also print such as tshirt vinyl, banners, canvas and posters.

It was easy for me as I had some one to show me how things where done

If you can apply app tape by hand, laminating with a machine is even easy.

In the sports shop, when they got the versa camm, a Roland tech came down to install it, make sure everything was running correctly and shown us how everything works, from turning it on, cleaning, printing ect. Some company's also offer courses such as a wrapping course if you buy the printer from them. (Graftyp) ((sp?))