• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where do lost UPS packages end up?

Pat Whatley

I ordered a generator from Home Depot a couple of weeks ago. It was shipped from Home Depot's warehouse in California and apparently dropped off the planet. It disappeared from the UPS system after that. Home Depot was cool about it (this time) and shipped out a second one which is on it's way but it won't make it here before we needed it.

But that brought up a question....where do undeliverable UPS packages end up? I know there are a couple of missing luggage places that airlines use when they've got lost stuff to sell off but I've never heard of such with UPS. When I order two 24" rolls of vinyl from Fellers they pack it in a 48" box instead of putting them side by side. Three or four times a year I'll get in half of the box with one roll of vinyl in it...where does the the other box, with no label on it, end up?

Anybody know where UPS dumps off the packages that have lost labels, or busted open boxes, or just plain lost stuff goes?

showcase 66

Not sure where but they probably have some pretty cool chit there. I ordered a 52" tv from walmart that was going to be delivered via ups to the place I worked. This was before they had site to store pickup. Never arrived. They sent another one. Never arrived. No info could be found from ups after the initial pick up on either one. Finally the Walmart here had the tv and I was able to just pick it up there.

buttons

I wish I knew. I ordered a violin for the girlfriend from Californina. Was home sick the week it was to be delivered. No knocks, no notices on my door, nothing. I check tracking and it says it was "return to sender due to improper address". I've ordered thousands of items and never had this happen.

At this point it's been 2.5 months. UPS doesn't know where the violin is, the music store won't send a new one till we locate this one... I'm ready to just pull all my hair out.

skyhigh

The North Pole.
I understand Santa has a contract with UPS & FedEx, to accecpt all un-deliverable packages.

GypsyGraphics

had a neighbor who worked for UPS, he was arrested when they found his garage loaded with undelivered parcels.
some things smaller than a bread box and some things larger than... oh i dunno... a generator.
can't imagine what happened your your item... i'm just saying.

John L

I wish I knew. I ordered a violin for the girlfriend from Californina. Was home sick the week it was to be delivered. No knocks, no notices on my door, nothing. I check tracking and it says it was "return to sender due to improper address". I've ordered thousands of items and never had this happen.

At this point it's been 2.5 months. UPS doesn't know where the violin is, the music store won't send a new one till we locate this one... I'm ready to just pull all my hair out.

No insurance on the package? Did you pay with a credit card? They might help you out but they will only stick it to the shipper that sent it to you.

John L

had a neighbor who worked for UPS, he was arrested when they found his garage loaded with undelivered parcels.
some things smaller than a bread box and some things larger than... oh i dunno... a generator.
can't imagine what happened your your item... i'm just saying.

We had one of those here too! A fedex driver was busted out after the locals nosed around his rental storage.

GypsyGraphics

i'd bought a pair really nice running shoes off him once, for a great price. (brand new, in the box)
oddly enough, after he was arrested... they started hurting my feet.

felt like ill-gotten-gains i suppose

Firefox

i'd bought a pair really nice running shoes off him once, for a great price. (brand new, in the box)
oddly enough, after he was arrested... they started hurting my feet.

felt like ill-gotten-gains i suppose

Why did he say he was selling them... Did they hurt his feet too?
:ROFLMAO:

The local UPS hub lost a bunch of handguns. Seems an enterprising employee would stash certain packages under the dumpster during his break then pick em up aft hours.

I don't know how many years he got.

Last edited:

buttons

No insurance on the package? Did you pay with a credit card? They might help you out but they will only stick it to the shipper that sent it to you.

Shipper got insurance. Been trying to work that out as well. Seems it takes forever from UPS to get money outta them for insurance. :( I can't even keep track of the amount of people I've spoke to over the phone about it.

UPS claims package was returned and signed for but they have no proof of who signed for the return. They also can't verify why it was returned. They just keep saying "oh it was an improper address"... I ask what was improper and no one can tell me. :banghead:

Ever been to NYC and seen the seedy street vendors? I bet they have a phone book full of ups contacts! Ask them where they got the stuff and they just say "It fell off the back of a truck" Hmmmm... I bet that truck was brown!

round man

There are alot of motor freight and shipping companies here locally due to our central east coast location,and shipping hubs,..fedex,ups,etc.......the lost and damaged freight is paid for by shipping insurance and the insurance companies auction the stuff off on a weekly basis,..the local salvage houses make a bundle selling slightly damaged goods and lost freight that is found after the insurance has already paid off,(for pennies on the dollar,usually they have some really good deals from time to time,you name it and ya might find it at one of the local salvage stores)...the stuff just doesn't simply "fall off the face of the earth,...it just falls off the truck" and into an insurance auction nearby,...

SignosaurusRex

There are alot of motor freight and shipping companies here locally due to our central east coast location,and shipping hubs,..fedex,ups,etc.......the lost and damaged freight is paid for by shipping insurance and the insurance companies auction the stuff off on a weekly basis,..the local salvage houses make a bundle selling slightly damaged goods and lost freight that is found after the insurance has already paid off,(for pennies on the dollar,usually they have some really good deals from time to time,you name it and ya might find it at one of the local salvage stores)...the stuff just doesn't simply "fall off the face of the earth,...it just falls off the truck" and into an insurance auction nearby,...

A number of years back....I knew a guy in some capacity of "Loss Management" for an insurance company. Part of his job included disposal (at a price) of misc. goods including items shipped aboard trucks involved in accidents, lost shipments, and stolen/recovery. He used to hook me up with all kinds of real sweet deals on goods that had been paid for by the insurance and then recovered/located. Got a commercial Espresso machine for the shop, tools, equipment,......on one occasion, we even got about 30 cases of various import beers for pennies on the dollar. Its (not) surprising how much of it never goes to auction.