Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do you get rid of your waste ink?

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by thewoodage, Aug 8, 2007.

1. thewoodage

thewoodage Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Ohio
    Where do you get rid of your waste ink? No idea where to even start to look?!?

Tags:
  2. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Big bucket of kitty litter. Pour it in, let it dry in the litter, then throw away like normal trash... That's what our dealer told us to do, has worked well so far.

3. MobileImpact

MobileImpact Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    I have a hole dig into the ground, out back by the pond. It's about 12" wide and 36" deep. We pour it in there. Funny thing is the hole never gets filled up. I think it soaks into the ground and just disappears.

Just kidding. The city lets us drop it off to them (No Fee) in coffee cans and they dispose of it.

(I think they have a bigger hole dug out some where.)

Kevin

4. GK

GK Very Active Member

Apr 30, 2007
    NYC
    lol, we had a hole too til some weird plants started to grow around the building :Big Laugh. We actually used to use the kitty litter method in the 5 gal buckets we got from liquid clear coat. About 2 years ago a recycling plant opened down the road, now we just drop the full 5 gal buckets off and they get rid of it properly...probably in the huge pond in the back :rolleyes:

5. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I put mine in toothpaste and sell it to China.

P

6. GK

GK Very Active Member

Apr 30, 2007
    NYC
    lol its bout time someone send crappy stuff to them instead of the other way around =P

7. KR3signguy

KR3signguy Very Active Member

Jul 11, 2007
    I put ours in the bird bath.

8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    These guys buy it by the truckload.

See...... it doesn't effect them either.

We save ours in glass bowls and the gold fish recycle through their little gills. It's an interesting process to watch.

Actually, we just let it dry out also and then throw it away. We also have, twice a year, city hazardous pick-ups for free.​

Attached Files:

9. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    You can use a 5 gallon bucket with either kitty litter or what you use for small oil spills. Make sure you put the lid on it while not in use, I pretty much blew my first bucket up, I tossed a cigarette butt in it forgetting what it was......lol

10. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    It's hot and humind here ...so I have big fans so it drips in a mister in front of fans .... that way our customers are colorfull as they come thru door lol

13 folds

11. GARY CULY

GARY CULY Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    have old 5 gallon paint bucket out in the alley ,,,i pour it all in there put lid on it ,,seems a lot evaporates and turns to muck ...its not hurting our earth or anyone ...im not trying to bend rules of our land but theres only 2 pick -up services in our area ,mostly get old crap from body shops , and there very proud of there service to the piont im not paying that much to come get my old ink

12. thewoodage

thewoodage Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Ohio
    thanks for the responses - i'll try the hole in the gro.... i mean i'll try the 5-gallon bucket method

13. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Just pour it out on the ground. Preferably someplace where you won't mind if it stains the area black. A couple of ounces of anything you're likely to generate isn't going to alter the course of history no matter what you do with it.

This what I've been doing for years now. If it pisses someone off, good. I'm sufficiently perverse to take some small pleasure in the discomfort of others whose prejudices I refuse to accommodate.

14. Bradster941

Bradster941 Very Active Member

Sep 5, 2005
    I sneak over late at night and dump it in my neighbors pool, (he’s a jerk).

Leaves a nice dark ring around the pool.

15. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I've got 3 old gallon containers of what Application Fluid came in...I never have really thought about where to put them...I just figured I'd start a pyramid w/ them. I'm glad you brought up the subject.