• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where is the business going?

jscarl

Went to a graduation party held in a nice park , While sitting there eating a truck and trailor drove buy, The lettering on the truck said several things including signs. While we sat there, a guy unloaded a 20 hp John Deer tractor and began cutting grass. Now this was a nice size park, and a full size tractor with a side bar is what was needed. The grass was 8 " or so tall. I drove down to look at the truck closer, and there it was, Home estimation, real estate, signs, lettering. wraps. dezigining ( his sp). Lowest prices in the area. This is the kind of guy that prices the lowest on the web too. Why should you pay business fees and business taxes?

dwt

He prolly told the sign guy(son in law) "Do it cheap/free and I'll send you LOTs-O-BizNuss".

Would you trust a sign guy that will mow your lawn on the weekend?
How about a guy that will plant your soybeans?! I mean..er..yeah..oops.

No offense to you soybean sign guys out there.:ROFLMAO::rock-n-roll:

Craig Sjoquist

Confused a bit, so the person's business is 3 main types of businesses or 4 cutting grass also in the back of a large truck and trailer ... how correct

Or where is the sign trade going when we see low priced sign company's selling below market value out of the truck and trailer, regardless of quality of advertising image value, while other's pay outrageous rental fee's and still pay truck and commercial insurance & ex-penances.

Or where is the sign trade going for a future

CheapVehicleWrap

If he's THAT busy that he let grass grow 8", next week he'll add flood damage, tornado/earthquake relief, oil separation services, we buy gold and houses. You MUST diversify!

SignManiac

So he's both a realtor and a sign guy? You have to wonder if he's gonna try and screw himself over when he needs to make his own sign!

OldPaint

1st off look where he is from. highest unemployment rate in the country. hes just tryin to make a living..........but ill bet he makes more profit in LAWN CARE then in signs))))))))
i got a freind of mine here in pensacola, he is a realtor, works part time at ADVANCED AUTO, says he also is a private investagator, and on top of of all these hes doin mechanic work at his house.
at times in my life i have worked at draftsman, and did signs, auto parts, and did race car lettering, then when i became a sign painter full time, i have worked as a auto parts part time, computer tech, part time, mechanic part time. when ivan hit here, i loaded my OX-ACYLT tanks in the big truck, and got paid well for some quick steel cutting.
sometimes it helps..........being a well rounded individual))))))))))))))))))

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I'm pretty sure there is a large majority of people on this site are not full time sign people...

A guy with signs on a vehicle does not make him the industry or the competition.. and if he is, better find a more discerning client.

rm25x

Right now I am a small engine mechanic at the local hardware store 40 hours a week to pay the bills while I work on getting my business going. Not sure how long its going to take before the sign business will make enough that I don't have to turn wrenches anymore. The sooner the better though!

As for lawncare, they are all fighting with lowballers as well. Anyone with a pushmower is out trying to make money. You want to talk about an easy entry field!

iSign

ya payz yer money & takz yer chances... I really don't see him winning over the type of clients I wanted to keep though...

Air Art Girl

ya payz yer money & takz yer chances... I really don't see him winning over the type of clients I wanted to keep though...

I agree, there are those that will always go to McDonalds instead of the steak house. I'll take the stake house people any day!!

dwt

sometimes it helps..........being a well rounded individual))))))))))))))))))

You're exactly right OP. I'm now going to shut my pie hole and stop typing on Friday afternoon while having cocktails. Who knows how he got there, maybe he uses the cash to offset deadbeats and 30day nets. It's not for me to judge.
*inserts humble pie in pie hole*

cajun312

I'm doing some lawn care signs for a petroleum engineer who just got laid off because of the stuff going on in the gulf. He was working on a deepwater drilling rig, they did offer him to go with the rig to Nigeria for five years but he is hoping he can bring in a bit of money cutting lawns until he can find another engineering job.

TheSnowman

I am a full time sign maker, looking to do anything else full time, and just do signs part time. Anyone wanna switch?

petrosgraphics

you can not worry about every single sign guy out there..... lurking in the shadows there
is always someone out there that will do a sign for next to nothing.......

put out a nice product, make a profit on the job, offer good customer service, and

the guys that no nothing about the business will always come and go.....