• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where to Begin? Color issues....

vroongraphics

Hi. I have a Mutoh VJ 1204 and use Onyx Postershop v7. For some reason my "blues" are printing "purple". I have noticed this in the past when I had a Mimaki JV3, that the blues print purple, so I was wondering what advice I can get on the forum. Ideas or advice?
I have a GretagMacbeth Eye-One Photo that I have not used yet. Any good online tutorials out there?

eye4clr

This seems to me to be something in how Onyx's color engine converts the blues. Making your own profiles will help to a large degree. Once you have your custom profile made, you can use it in your desktop apps to apply the print profile there for better blue rendering. Just be aware to not ALSO apply it in the Onyx again.

signswi

Profile your media, make sure your files are profiled, make sure you're using the matching input profiles in onyx and should be fine. Note that a lot of people use blues like 100/100/0/0 and expect blue (because on screen it looks blue due to RGB conversion for monitor display) but you'll get a purple every time, ultra-calibrated or not. Use a mix with less magenta than cyan.

Also inkjet M tends to be "brighter" than inkjet C so it'll overwhelm it more than you'd expect, which is why profiling (including ink limiting/linearization) is so important to compensate.

vroongraphics

thanks for your response. I have an Eye-One Photo calibration tool which I have not used other than for my monitors....maybe I will try calibrate my printer and not rely on my Postershop RIP so much....

signswi

thanks for your response. I have an Eye-One Photo calibration tool which I have not used other than for my monitors....maybe I will try calibrate my printer and not rely on my Postershop RIP so much....

What do you mean not rely on Postershop so much? You calibrate the media profiles that Postershop uses! You should call the vendor that sold you the machine and Postershop and get some training.

chdzns

blue to purple

It is a rule that magenta always prints much stronger than it appears on screen. If you have a blue mixed in cmyk make sure that the cyan is at least 30% more than the magenta or the blue will turn purple.