• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

where to begin

megacab

i am looking into custom shaped coro signs as a niche market. been researching cnc routers to cut the shapes i need. that being said, i am lost on what are good routers to look at and what are just junk. i will only be cutting out of 18x24 pieces, so i don't need a large cutting area. any ideas what machines to look at and which ones to stay away from? also, what software do these run on? autocad or can i use my corel? any insight is appreciated.:thankyou:

SebastienL

A cnc router will not cut coroplast. Well, yes it will, but it will do a S***ty job at best. Your router needs to be equipped wit an ocsillating knife to do a good jod on coroplast.
I know Multicam an Axyz offer a knife on their routers as an option.

Software wise, you don't need autocad. Illustrator or Corel will do for layouts. You will need a software to run the cnc though. I imagine you want to print and cut. For that, you will need the optional camera on the router. This needs a dedicated software to read the printed registry marks and program the router accordingly.

Now, I,m not an expert an all that is available out there. I don't know if there is a dedicated coroplast cutter on the market. I run a Multicam using Type3 for regular cnc work and i-Cut for cutting to registry using the camera. All my prep work is done in illustrator.

Hope this is helpfull...

Sébastien

Mosh

How many you going to do? If you are only starting out cut your shape from a peice of MDO and use that a a template to hand router them. We do this and I can bang out 100 in around an hour. Way cheaper than a CNC, if that is all you are goig to do with it.

10sacer

Look at tabletop shopbot for your size requirements but, remember, would be alot faster to buy precut pieces from someone who has invested in a 4x8 or 5x10 machine who can cut out 10 at a time.

SignManiac

Have you established a selling point for your product yet? Not sure it will be a lucrative market until you crunch the numbers. Could take quite a while to get a return on your investment.

TammieH

I agree with SebastienL , you do not want to saw or rout Corrugated plastic; Knife, Laser or Die-cut. Although I do not know how well a flatbed knife cutter will work with Coroplast, I ran one for 18 months at an industrial print shop, cutting Lexan & vinyl parts...I just do not know. I think the lack of speed would be cost prohibitive.

megacab

thanks everyone. guess i'll start researching lasers a bit also. if not, i'll just keep farming them out. was trying to just do a little more work in house.