• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where to buy blades?

NotADesigner

I'm new to the large format world and plotters as well. We have a Summa 160T temporarily, but it was given to us with a dull blade. I am need a good sharp blade to cut PhotoTex. Where should I look to buy them? Any specific type of blade?

We should be upgrading to a S2 160T soon, but we're waiting on support from EFI :( Is anyone else with a S2 160T running it with different software? Just curious...

NotADesigner

We use Summa blades.

Dumb question but... where do you order from? Is there something convenient online? I know I can probably go through the dealer, but in my experience, the more I know about my choices, the better my results :smile: Plus we need one right away!

EDIT: That was a really dumb question, I finally found the Supplies & Accessories link that was right in front of me.

BobM

Just call them at Clean Cut. They will guide you better than anyone. I had a problem cutting some vinyl I hadn't used before and they were more than helpful. Learned a lot from them.

NotADesigner

Thanks for the recommendations, I went ahead and called Clean Cut and got a blade from them too. If they really are sharper like they say, that will make a difference when cutting PhotoTex. Plus it will probably get here at least two days before my blades from Seattle, WA.

One last question (for this post, at least), does anyone have any experience cutting PhotoTex with any sort of cutter? Would you recommend a certain speed? I had our cutter on a slow speed at first, but I think that led to problems with the dull blade not being able to cut every strand in the PhotoTex, leading to some unravelling and incomplete cuts. I'm thinking I should aim for a medium speed as the "sweet spot". Thoughts?

Robert Gruner

Notadesigner:

Do you have tangential or drag knife Summa. PhotoTex is a adhesiveback poly fabric material best cut by tangential cutter (blade lifts). Unlike pvc, the fabric material can cause blade tips to snip off. The 45 degree is probably a bit better than the standard 36 degree blade.

Bob@nusignsupply.com

NotADesigner

Notadesigner:

Do you have tangential or drag knife Summa. PhotoTex is a adhesiveback poly fabric material best cut by tangential cutter (blade lifts). Unlike pvc, the fabric material can cause blade tips to snip off. The 45 degree is probably a bit better than the standard 36 degree blade.

Bob@nusignsupply.com

We have a tangential cutter. I'm going to be drowning in blades by the time I stop reading this thread :Big Laugh

Photo Tex and Summa

I sent our material to Summa and here is there response:

Hi Walter,

I have been testing your material with our 36 Degree (390-534), 45 Degree (390-560) and 60 Degree blades (390-550). The 45 Degree blade seemed to use less pressure (125 grams) to get a good cut and have the material weed out nice and easy.

The other two blades also worked very well but I had to increase the pressures to 200 grams for the 36 degree blade and 150 grams for the 60 degree blade respectively. So the blade I recommend after testing with your material would be to use the 45 degree blade (390-560) . I think the customers should be able to cut your material just fine as long as they are setting the blade depth and pressure correctly as well with some testing.

Summa - technical Support

NotADesigner

Awesome, thanks so much for your help, Walter! I am going to try cutting the material with the Clean Cut 60 degree blade today. Sounds like it will work just fine!

knucklehead

It's hard to get a clean cut on Phototex, even with a CleanCut blade. It's like trying to cut denim fabric with a Buck knife. Will it cut, Yes. Will it cut cleanly as a pair of scissors, No.

NotADesigner

Well, I tried it with the Clean Cut blade, and there is a HUGE difference. Only one or two pieces that were not cut through. Our blade was definitely dull.