• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where to find labor

ams

So the only places I know of to find people with sign industry experience is Signs101 and Signweb. It's rare and hard to find any on indeed. Is there a magical place that all sign experienced people go to post their resumes?

Also most resumes I look at have 20+ years of experience, I would love to find some with 2 - 5 years that I can mold into our ways of doing things.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Huh! Me doing it all my life, I'm 60, certainly wouldn't be molded into any ones way.... but someone like me does come with enough experience, that maybe, you would benefit from learning from them, and as much, they could learn from you...

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
You hate half the people in the sign industry and the other half hates you, I'm sure it's hard to find good people to work for you.

ams

Huh! Me doing it all my life, I'm 60, certainly wouldn't be molded into any ones way.... but someone like me does come with enough experience, that maybe, you would benefit from learning from them, and as much, they could learn from you...

Well the first installer I hired refused to wear a harness in the bucket truck and told me he didn't have to at the other shop he worked at. He also had his own way of doing things that were incorrect. None of the electrical was done up to code. So by molding, I mean conforming to VA State Code and like if they did wet apply all their life, teaching them to dry apply. Things like that.

AKwrapguy

Didn't we just through this a few months ago? Saying that you couldn't find anyone for with experience for $12 and hour?

rjssigns

Tech college. Too bad you're so far away for our interns. College where I teach has a dedicated wrap bay.;)

ams

He needs someone to help install the banner on the hotel sign... it's been 6 months and the customer is starting to get antsy

If your goal is to upset me, it isn't going to happen. I just plain don't care. Also that was installed a few weeks ago and customer is happy.

ams

Tech college. Too bad you're so far away for our interns. College where I teach has a dedicated wrap bay.;)

That's cool, there is a tech college here for things such as welding, construction, electronics, etc. So perhaps one of their graduating members has some good experience in other areas.

rjssigns

That's cool, there is a tech college here for things such as welding, construction, electronics, etc. So perhaps one of their graduating members has some good experience in other areas.

Yup, as a condition of graduating our students need to serve 144 hours in their chosen field.

equippaint

You're either going to get green and know very little or experienced and set in what they do. Either way is going to require some effort on your part by either dropping your guard and bending to the experienced guys nuances or running out the singles with the green horns until you find the right one.

AKwrapguy

So depending on what your doing and what yo need help with, why not reach out to a local community college to see if you can do an apprenticeship program.

Granted it won't help you 'right now' but it might lead to someone that fits your needs perfectly. You can pay them, and they will also receive credits. Granted they probably won't be doing electrical work, but light fabrication, and other installation, graphics design, etc.... isn't out of the question.

ams

The only issue is the hours. Being in college, they go to classes alot so it would be very limited.

rossmosh

Make a list of what's important to you and then rank from most to least important. It's become common place for businesses to put a list of 100 things in order to apply for a job when the reality is, only 10 are important and the other 90 are a mix of not important at all, stuff that can be easily trained, and stuff that is useful but only on a rare occasion.

The other thing is payment and benefits. A good worker typically knows their value. If you aren't paying a true living wage, you aren't going to get good workers. Living wage = enough to live by yourself relatively comfortably.

ams

Make a list of what's important to you and then rank from most to least important. It's become common place for businesses to put a list of 100 things in order to apply for a job when the reality is, only 10 are important and the other 90 are a mix of not important at all, stuff that can be easily trained, and stuff that is useful but only on a rare occasion.

The other thing is payment and benefits. A good worker typically knows their value. If you aren't paying a true living wage, you aren't going to get good workers. Living wage = enough to live by yourself relatively comfortably.

I've learned the wages part over the years. Started out hiring at $10 an hour, but now up to $16. So I am getting there. I know the averaged experienced sign guy deserves $22 - $26 an hour.

AKwrapguy

What college teaches wrap installs?

I was wondering this as well. It would be interesting if this was part of some sort of graphic design class. They had to design, print and install a wrap. Why couldn't we as a community reach out to material suppliers and institutions and try to create a few pilot programs for something like this?

rjssigns

What college teaches wrap installs?

NWTC. At this point students wrap trailers, and do partials on vehicles. Everything from initial consult, photos, dimensions, design, design approval, to print/lam and install. It's part of the wide format program. All work done is for non-profit organizations. Students end up with a solid basis on which to build and get to help in the community.