Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to find plastic office id signs for schools

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by paz21paz, Jul 16, 2019.

1. paz21paz

paz21paz New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Illinois
    I'm trying to find these plastic door id signs to replace at a local school. These are 4x8 and 8x8 in size. I just need the blanks in white and I can put vinyl on them for the lettering. They said they don't have to have the braille on them. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Well if you don't need braille, and are just putting vinyl on them, just cut your pieces from PVC, or acrylic, or Rowmark, or whatever.

3. paz21paz

paz21paz New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Illinois
    I will if I have to but I'm not really setup to cut blanks. I mainly just do vinyl applications on vehicles and aluminum signs. Would like to find them pre made with rounded corners already

4. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

The school may be telling you they don't have to have the braille and raised letters, but by law, they do. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) makes that quite clear. And though the handicap Nazis that used to go around seeking out public spaces to sue for having non-compliant signage seem to have stopped their activity, a school is a place guaranteed to have handicapped people at some point in time.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    I was going to say the same, but there is a possibility that they already have ADA signs there and just need some more signs.

OP, if the doors do not currently have ADA signs, then these certainly would need braille and and all the raised and sized letter requirements.

6. paz21paz

paz21paz New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Illinois
    They do have other ADA signs these are for staff offices in the main office. Either way with or without braille does anyone know where to get them?

7. rossmosh

rossmosh Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    Go to your local trophy/engraving shop and ask them to laser cut you some blanks out of acrylic. I'd personally recommend buying the material and bringing it to them. 1/8" acrylic is what you want. 12x24 is the standard size but ask what size laser they have before buying. You might get better yield buying 18x24 or something like that.

8. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
  9. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Try firesprint, I think they can direct print(you supply the file), cut and punch them like you want in various materials. They are a merchant member here.

10. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    ADA is some fun stuff. I'd always planned to be one of them ADA nazi's if this whole sign biz doesn't work out. I hate going to hotels, they never get their signs done correctly. I'd have an easier time listing proper ADA signs I have seen vs bad ones. Last hotel I stayed in had numbers well over 1" tall on every room placard and the raised copy was 1/8" thick, the braille was almost falling off the bottom of the signs, ugh... At least they were mounted on the correct side of the door.

11. gnemmas

gnemmas Active Member

Nov 7, 2006
    CA
    We will not use First surface vinyl letters / graphics for school signs. Examine the picture you provided, do you see the Sharpie repair of the missing letters?

12. paz21paz

paz21paz New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Illinois
    Yeah I know what you guys are saying about the ADA. Does anyone know where to get them made like what is in the the picture? Raised letters and braille?
    I' m having a hard time finding anything like them. There are 11 different ones I need made.

13. Devon19515

Devon19515 Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Georgia
    encompasssign.com