• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where to get Font CD's

TheSnowman

Where do you guys get good font CD's? I haven't really "invested" in anything like that...and I'm kinda sick of some of my sucky fonts. Any advice...and anyone had any sweet luck w/ a good deal & good price.

Jillbeans

Signfonts.com, a vendor here.
He sells Valentino!!!!
Lovely lovely fonts, and you can get them on a CD.
Love.....Jill

GK

Most "font cds" like the ones you buy in walmart etc are usually fairly crappy fonts that you can find online for free anyway. If you are serious about purchasing fonts from Foundries such as A&S, SignDNA, LetterHead Fonts (all great sign fonts) you will be much more happy with their quality. When you look into some of the other foundries out there, you are going to notice...most are not cheap like the $19.95, 3000 font collections out there. Take a look at this site: Veer.com They have the resale rights to some of the top names in fonts. Love their fonts =)

SignosaurusRex

One of the best ways (most economical) to Build a good library of quality fonts is to purchase larger boxed clipart packages. Typically packages like "Art Explosion" by Nova Development, Corels "Gallery Magic", "ClickArt" by Broderbund, etc. Most of these have fairly large quality font packages included. Its very helpful to have a reasonable knowledge of font names or a "wanted" list when checking out these box packages. Many font foundries offer package deals as well. Adobe has a very nice large font package. You can wrap up a lot of $$$ in fonts very quickly......they are tools, just like your software, plotter, etc., they are worth the $$$! Choose wisely!

GK

One of the best ways (most economical) to Build a good library of quality fonts is to purchase larger boxed clipart packages. Typically packages like "Art Explosion" by Nova Development, Corels "Gallery Magic", "ClickArt" by Broderbund, etc. Most of these have fairly large quality font packages included. Its very helpful to have a reasonable knowledge of font names or a "wanted" list when checking out these box packages. Many font foundries offer package deals as well. Adobe has a very nice large font package. You can wrap up a lot of $$$ in fonts very quickly......they are tools, just like your software, plotter, etc., they are worth the $$$! Choose wisely!

Speaking of Adobe, FontFolio 11 is now out. http://www.adobe.com/products/fontfolio/

Worth the investment. Lots of timeless fonts there for print/display etc.

OldPaint

if you want the best FONTS...SIGN DNA...
as for ADOBE fonts....i really like em for "perfection" type work.
ADOBE are way less nodes and sharper clean corners.

Rodi

Fred has some URW TypeWorks CDs for sale, and they are top quality. I bought the TypeWorks 2 PC and already had the TypeWorks 1 CD Mac and they are great.
The Nova Development fonts are great too, a mix of Letraset, URW and a couple of Agfa Fonts. Get the 1,000,000 collection and you have 1,800 fonts.
Softmaker has several CDs Ranging from $50.00 US to around $450.00 on fonts and you get a ton of fonts, including some no one else has and historically important ones too, like a digital version of Stempel Palatino, which is different from Linotype Palatino. They bought/Licensed from Berthold AG, when Berthold was sinking fast in the early 90s and they have some fonts licensed from URW, oh and some real crappers too!
Pickup old copies of Illustrator and Freehand and you will get a lot of great fonts there too.
Canvas too, I got 2,450 fonts for buying a bug ridden program. I love the fonts and then I found I had both PC and Mac fonts, woohoo!
Most Adobe fonts are really just Linotype fonts, rebranded, outside of their "Exclusives" which uhm, are underwhelming and kinda derivative works. I'm not sure that Adobe fonts have fewer points than other founderies, but compared to hucksters, of course they have fewer nodes. I remember their original PS library looked pretty crappy compared to my Linotype fonts.

Last edited:

OldPaint

i been doin fonts since 93, on a plotter and the ADOBE fonts....when put into corel, then to have ONLY the nodes neccesary...not like a lot of the CORLE TT/windows fonts that come with the program.
newer faster plotters you wont notice, but on my old PNC-1000 15 ips, and old 386 CPUS... you could see the differeance in the way the 2 fonts would cut.
the less nodes, the faster in cuts..from one to the other node.....
and rodi is right the more expensive fonts are cleaned up to be as clean of nodes as they can.