Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Where to get wholesale, precut Optix DA acrylic?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Anthony DePalma, Jun 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Anthony DePalma

Anthony DePalma New Member

Jun 24, 2019
    Manahawkin, New Jersey
    Hello, I am looking for a distributor of Optix DA for direct to acrylic printing. Does anyone have a wholesale manufacturer they can recommend that can precut sheets to certain sizes (8.5x11).

Do you think there are big savings to cut the sheet myself instead? I don't know if thats a slow process or what kind of hardware is used, however.

Also if anyone recommends any other brands of acrylic that are meant for printing without a promoter, that may be the same or less expensive, please let me know. Thanks!

Tags:
  2. VISCOM

VISCOM Member

Dec 25, 2011
    New Cumberland PA

3. VISCOM

VISCOM Member

Dec 25, 2011
    New Cumberland PA
    Harbor Sales sells Optix DA 1/8" / 3/16" / 1/4" thickness... I use this all the time great stuff

4. rossmosh

rossmosh Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    Contact your acrylic supplier and get a price quote for them to cut the sheet down to size.

Then contact a local person with a 4x8 laser cutter (best tool for the job) or 4x8 CNC (slightly worse) and ask them for a price quote for the same task.

Take the pricing and compare it to the cost and time to cut it yourself using a decent table saw. Then proceed how you feel would benefit you most.

5. Anthony DePalma

Jun 24, 2019
    Manahawkin, New Jersey
    Ah I was wondering what the bigger companies use to cut these sheets. I guess the main benefit with the laser cutter is you can set the whole sheet down to be cut cleanly and automatically? I might even investigate one of these machines for myself..

6. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Absolutely laser cut... perfectly clean edges that require zero work to make them look spectactular.

7. Anthony DePalma

Jun 24, 2019
    Manahawkin, New Jersey
    Question if you please - is the coating translucent? Meaning if I were to only print on half of the printable surface, would the unprinted part still remain see-through? Is there any haze that prevents light from passing through?

8. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Optix is completely transparent (even with the DA coating). Unless you're laying down ink, it's going to remain clear.

• Like Like x 1