• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where to learn?

amw

Longtime Members
Hi Everyone!

Looing for some info on lighted signs...

What is the best, yet quick way to learn about lighted signage?
What substrate(s) to use where and when, terms of industry words, etc.

Thank you for your help!
Marsha

wildside

get a hold of a book called "Sign Structures and Foundations" by Peter Horsley

that will get you started with part of it

the actual electrical part, depending on local laws you may need to be UL certified, licensed electrician, etc. to even build them, or sometimes to install them

electrical signage is one of the hardest parts of the sign industry, just below carved dimensional signs in my opinion

it is alot more complicated then just grabbing a book and reading it like i am suggesting, but if you have a real desire to learn it, it is a good starting point.

nodrenim

Best way to learn if possible, is to work at a shop that does what you want to learn to do. When you feel confident enough, you go it alone. Good Luck!

OlsonSigns601

We've been doing them since the 80's. Mostly in these parts its installing an existing sign panel but we do get the occasional request for a completely new sign.

Because I grew up into it, I don't know what questions one would have but like nodrenim said, best way to learn is to work with someone that does them.

Call up a sign shop that is a couple hours away from you. Someone that wouldn't consider you a competitor or a threat and see if they will let you help out on the next install.

I can tell you this, channel letter signs has my lowest markup but I make the most money off them. If you outsource them and just do the installs, you can make a pretty good profit. You will need an Arial lift, an electrician and good relations with city government to get your sign permits approved.