• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

where to purchase good canvas and what type to get

Msrae

Rae
Ok, I have a client that wants a canvas banner, he is hanging it from the wall inside his shop. He already has one that he showed me and it has a very matte finish. I went to my local supplier and he showed me a few samples of canvas, and the economy canvas looked like it was a match.

I have never worked with canvas before. I have done a search, but came up with literally hundreds of threads, and most did not have the information I am looking for.

My questions are -
1. Can you print on canvas with a Roland Eco-Sol?
2. What canvas works best? This hanging canvas has unfinished edges so I will need one that does not fray.
3. Do you have a good supplier of canvas material? Our local sign supplier does not carry the canvas, they said they can ship it in, but I would like to try other avenues as well.

Thank you in advance!

Rae

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I can help no problem, I will PM you tomorrow with pricing on a great matte canvas for that machine if your interested.

phototec

Ok, I have a client that wants a canvas banner, he is hanging it from the wall inside his shop. He already has one that he showed me and it has a very matte finish. I went to my local supplier and he showed me a few samples of canvas, and the economy canvas looked like it was a match.

I have never worked with canvas before. I have done a search, but came up with literally hundreds of threads, and most did not have the information I am looking for.

My questions are -
1. Can you print on canvas with a Roland Eco-Sol?
2. What canvas works best? This hanging canvas has unfinished edges so I will need one that does not fray.
3. Do you have a good supplier of canvas material? Our local sign supplier does not carry the canvas, they said they can ship it in, but I would like to try other avenues as well.

Thank you in advance!

Rae

Yes, you can print on special coated canvas with a Roland and Eco-Sol ink.

LexJet sells Sunset Select Satin Canvas SUV for photo printing and art-reproduction on solvent, low-solvent, and UV-curable printers.

http://www.lexjet.com/p-3387-LexJet-Sunset-Select-Satin-Canvas-SUV.aspx

I received their recent catalog last week, and there was an advertisement saying if you purchase any LexJet branded product for the first time, you get a 20% discount, you might ask about the discount if you decide to purchase from them.

Hope this helps. :smile:

AllSquare Jason

If you wanted something easy you could use the Roland Labeled Matte Canvas (PCM-MAC7 Matte Artist Canvas), Its quality product to and it's already profiled on VersaWorks. You can have it shipped in quickly from Cali by Roland too.

Sihl has an inexpensive solvent matte canvas (3482 - SMART™ Canvas), few others do as well.

All digital canvas should really be stretched, mounted or framed, or its going to curl.

Many people coat the canvas as well, but it depends on where the canvas is going (home/office, decor, retail, etc).

Good luck, as long as your image is good it will look great.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
If you wanted something easy you could use the Roland Labeled Matte Canvas (PCM-MAC7 Matte Artist Canvas), Its quality product to and it's already profiled on VersaWorks. You can have it shipped in quickly from Cali by Roland too.

Sihl has an inexpensive solvent matte canvas (3482 - SMART™ Canvas), few others do as well.

All digital canvas should really be stretched, mounted or framed, or its going to curl.

Many people coat the canvas as well, but it depends on where the canvas is going (home/office, decor, retail, etc).

red + 1 ... also cotton canvas will sag and heavily distort without being able to 'pop' back to shape if you hang it like a banner. always stretch or mount the canvas in order to provide equal tension along all edges.

Msrae

Rae

Here is a picture of the original one. They want 5 more that will match. I think the bottom rod will hold it "stretched" enough. The original seems to be doing very well. http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt318/MsRae_GeneralChaos_UNpics/JDMbanner.jpg

Thank you for the information and links! Always appreciated. You guys/gals have helped me more than you know.

Msrae

Rae
I don't know that digital canvas will drape that well, someone else can chime in on that.

Funny, I remembered the shop name from a thread on NASIOC (Subaru forum):JDM Legends new shop. Some sweet rides -

Completely off topic but yes, they have some AMAZING rides. I love the shop and talking with them, good group. They are restoring a 77 Celica right now. I used to own a 76 and still miss that car. Good group of guys. completely off topic, but yeah. I'm lucky I live close by and can see their old JDM often at the cars and coffee meets etc.

What fabric would you think that is? It isn't soft by any means, seems a lot like canvas, but the odd thing is that the material is black on the front and the back. When you print on canvas does it bleed all the way through the fabric creating a uniform color, or was this originally black material and printed over? I'm such a noob.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
that might be dye sublimation printed onto something a little like canvas but probably a polymer thread not cotton based canvas.

Msrae

Rae
that might be dye sublimation printed onto something a little like canvas but probably a polymer thread not cotton based canvas.

Crap, I sure hope not. I would really like to make these guys their banners. Hadn't even thought about dye sub... I'll have to go down there again and take a really close look and ask them a few more questions I guess.

AllSquare Jason

What fabric would you think that is? It isn't soft by any means, seems a lot like canvas, but the odd thing is that the material is black on the front and the back. When you print on canvas does it bleed all the way through the fabric creating a uniform color, or was this originally black material and printed over? I'm such a noob.

love cars - back on topic, Maybe Dye Sub/Screen? Digital canvas won't bleed, but you'll need a good profile for a rich black. There are other fabrics you can print on (Pure Color™ Media - Neschen Americas) that would drape like the photo, would be all white. They wouldn't see the back anyway right?

kanvas

Glen Raven Mills makes a printable "Sunbrella" acrylic canvas fabric. It has a coating on one side. They also make a printable canvas like fabric in 2 weights called Vivatex. Both are readily available.

phototec

Now that you posted the photo, I'm 95% sure that's NOT canvas like what I was thinking for photo reproduction Gallery Wraps, and Giclée prints. What you have shown in the photo is something else, some type of heavy awning material and because it dark on the back, I'll go another step and suggest it is screen printed onto the dark fabric.

All the printable canvas I have seen is a off-white color and the front is coated with a white coating to except ink and make photos appear natural being printed on the white surface.

:omg:

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Traditional Canvas is not what you need, there are some fabrics out there that they call canvas but its not really canvas. You should look at the Ultraflexx UltraCanvas Artist C325 its a heavy fabric that they call canvas but its not. I can send you a book if you want.

Msrae

Rae
Traditional Canvas is not what you need, there are some fabrics out there that they call canvas but its not really canvas. You should look at the Ultraflexx UltraCanvas Artist C325 its a heavy fabric that they call canvas but its not. I can send you a book if you want.

The more help/info I can get the better. Thank you!

edit - I am looking it up now and requesting a sample and a swatch book from the site. Thank you

Msrae

Rae
Well, maybe then again, Bigfish can you send me a book? I tried getting samples and I need an account number or to call them with a credit card to cover shipping. I tried to use their "supplier finder" but that page is under construction. When I call, I get voicemail. So, looks like I'm not getting a sample real soon. I did leave a message, we will see if I get a call back.

Ok, got a call back. They are sending me some samples and a swatch book.

Thank you!

Last edited: