• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where to start?

Stacey K

I like making signs
It's a small investment to get started in a business. If you enjoy it and things go well, you can always upgrade. Start by learning the software. It might be difficult until a job comes up that requires you to specifically search for a certain task. That's when the learning really starts...somewhere around midnight when you're exhausted LOL I guess a good place to start is just typing in your name, sending it the cutter and applying it to a scrap. Adjust the sizing from 1/4" to 10" and practice applying. Make sure your equipment is working and your cutter is set up correctly. Then add some clipart, make your name cursive and weld it (if you don't know what welding is, google it, it's a specific task you will use often), make a sign for your garage, a friend, anything to get you some practice. One thing I would suggest is doing some research on the differences between vinyl. You mentioned you have Oracal 651 and 631. Those are for wall decals and limited term decals and graphics. If you letter your buddies semi, you need the 731...the difference between cast and calendared is something you will need to know and there are varying opinions on this site. Always go with the better vinyl if in doubt. You can have great skills but if you use the wrong vinyl, it's all down the drain. Get yourself some vinyl sample cards so you can match up the colors for customers. A PMS color guide is a handy tool also.

Billct2

You have the right idea, start small and work your way up. Unfortunately though the business has changed so much that there isn't much money to be made doing what what can be bought on line for half the price. Hopefully you can find people willing to pay for small custom products that they aren't capable of designing and buying online themselves.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
My plotter mostly just sits there. Every once in a while I will cut some window lettering, but practically everything else is digital printing, which I outsource. Get a subscription to SignCraft magazine, and familiarize yourself with the specific niche of the "craft" based commercial sign industry (where art is just as important as fabrication). Hook up with some quality printing and fabrication companies, and find a local company that can help with installations (digging holes, boom truck and crane work - you will be surprised how fast this will come up - the easy stuff people will just do themselves). Electric companies can be good partners as they have the equipment but will generally not be competitive for signs (and they can hook up lights).

Maybe more important, I would recommend learning Corel Draw. As an artist you will appreciate what you can do with it. Vinyl Master functions as a "bridge" program, translating vector art to a cutting path. Corel will offer boundless creative opportunities, and you can order anything you create from companies like FireSprint and Signs 365.

If your goal is to be a design based business, you will need to distinguish yourself with the uniqueness and quality of your designs. Fabrication and installation can be outsourced. If you want to be a production and fabrication business, you will need to make a considerably bigger investment in order to compete with the multi-million dollar facilities selling banners for 89¢ a square foor on the internet. Electric sign work, installation and maintenance will require at least several hundred thousand dollars in investment and significant training.

As a tattoo artist, my guess is you will be coming at this from the design angle. Plenty of potential there, and with a good marketing plan, a killer portfolio (and a lot of hustle) you will be fine.

rjssigns

Hello all! I recently purchased a vinyl business from a friend. He had steady clientele, but unfortunately was too busy with tinting and mechanic work to keep up and decided to sell.

I purchased his VinylExpress Q42 and all of his backstock of vinyl(around 40 rolls mixed lot of Oracal 651&631) for $1k (not a bad price in my eyes).

I signed up for a membership with Vinyl Master LTR and got the ball rolling......so I thought. I seem to get good results, however, there are several questions I have that are unanswered.

I guess my question is, where is a good place to start? Tutorials, videos, blogs, etc. of experienced people using this program? They offer tutorials but honestly they remind me of the old videos from Health class that teach you nothing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Lots of good advice, but if there weren't people willing to take a "flyer" on a plan/dream where would we be? How would taking the safe route affected innovation? Fairly certain you weren't going to tell Henry Ford or Edison they needed to get some skills before diving in.

25 years ago I started at ground zero just like you. I worked a full time job and learned signs and software as I went. In the beginning it was cut vinyl. Then cut vinyl with airbrush work(shading, chisel, chrome look etc..) Then I went digital. Brutal learning curve to be sure, but I'm still here.

What I'm trying to say is go for it.

I assumed he was referring to himself here....

JB

One would have thought that was pretty obvious, or at least I'm sure it was to most of us anyway. Some people are a little slow I guess.

Most tattoo artists are talented, it's just the lifestyle and drama they get caught up in is their own worst enemy. It's a good (and small) risk you took and in my opinion is a smart move using your talents from tattooing to something more "grown up".

You've lost any and all credibility you might have still had left with me on that comment. You must watch too much TV. Never in my 20 plus years as a tattoo artist did I deal with all this drama you speak of, nor did I ever consider my career choice childish as your comment would imply.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
One would have thought that was pretty obvious, or at least I'm sure it was to most of us anyway. Some people are a little slow I guess.

You've lost any and all credibility you might have still had left with me on that comment. You must watch too much TV. Never in my 20 plus years as a tattoo artist did I deal with all this drama you speak of, nor did I ever consider my career choice childish as your comment would imply.

Lol, well I guess our town is different. Tattoo artists have passed from shop to shop around here. They work at one shop, get into pretty disagreements or drama and then quit for greener pastures..only to get in the same boat at a new shop. The old timers get caught up in the pettiness of the young ones. Most are very talented individuals with unique personalities, and I've seen such good talent get repressed by immature choices.

WhatsYourSign?

What part of WV are you in?

My shop is in Virginia but I went to WVU so I have lots of ties out your way.

I bought my sign shop a little over a year ago, and it's been a lot like drinking from a fire hose. Below are some of the big lessons I've learned:
  • Hire a Sign Shop Vet - When I bought my sign shop it came with a few employees but none of them were any good (hence why they were selling it). About 8 months into things, I went out and hired somebody with 10+ years experience and that has made a huge difference in our capabilities and also our profitability.

• Learn Illustrator (or don't) - I know you said you purchased a vinyl design program already, but I would highly recommend purchasing Adobe Illustrator instead. It sounds like you're creative already so this is a tool that will serve you well in the future, even if things don't work out with your sign shop.

I have a full-time designer + a couple freelancers who do our design work, but if you're going to do it all in-house, this is a key skill.

• Figure Out Your Pricing - Being able to price job requests for potential clients quickly and efficiently can often be the difference between winning and losing a job. We have a policy of returning pricing within 1 business day whenever possible.

• Don't Be the Cheapest Guy on the Block - Most of our competition locally is fighting for scraps at the bottom. We've positioned ourselves as a premium option that is backed up with customer service and quick turnaround times, and people appreciate it. If they want the cheapest possible price, they're simply not a good match for us.

• Learn to Love/Heat Signs365 - I know as one of the new kids on the block here on S365, most of my questions are going to appear obvious to sign veterans, and I'm going to take some grief for it as a result. I know this going into things and still ask my questions anyways because I know in the midst of the banter, I'm going to get a lot of value out of the people on here who take the time to respond and are genuinely helpful.

Good luck man...I wish you all the best!

Montani Semper Liberi
Mountaineers are Always Free