• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which Corel?

cajunsignguy

Which version of Corel is everyones favorate? I have heard people having trouble with 12, what about x3? I use Flexi but I would like to learn a version of Corel.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Version 5...of course thats the last one I knew really really good...I have X3 but use Illy.....I have had no problems with Version 12

Flame

I have 8, 10 and X3. Honestly, my favorite is 8. I just LOVE that program! It was my first sign making program, and I still love it.

X3 is more powerful though. Just a few annoying features. If I was looking for one to buy, I'd just buy X3. The rest are already becomming outdated, so why buy them new?

OldPaint

i been corelin since version 3. 4 was good, but old 3.11 only. 5 and 6 was not able to cut directly to plotter, plotter engine was removed and leased to CO-CUT for 2 yrs. 7 was the best of the REAL CORELS. 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, all were COREL/XARA combination. of those 10 was very stabel and i stil pefer it over X3. X 3 needs fast computer tons of ram or it will be laging when you want to move something....

ChiknNutz

I've used v9, v11, v12 and now X3 (v13). My vote goes to X3 for several reasons - MUCH MUCH MUCH improved node creation on contours along with node reduction feature, boundary creation tool (for digital print cutlines), new bevel feature is okay (still prefer AlienSkin for this though), new fillet/scallop is pretty good for rounding corners (similar to Oberon CurveWorks), new Crop tool is useful, new Smart Fill is pretty cool too (but haven't used it too much yet).

iSign

Illy will have some advantages if you don't already know Corel.

Corel has it's advantages too... & I don't mean to imply I could begin to list them all... but one is that it's cheaper then Illustrator... & the other big one is there are more sign related solutions for plotting vinyl straight out of Corel.

The other varoius differences in the basic capabilities are minimal IMO... & the plotting out of Corel is not much value to a guy who uses Flexi.

That leaves price. If you can afford Illustrator, I think you should consider it first. As an industry standard program, you will always encounter Illustrator files in this field, both from designer files brought to you & from client requests for industry standard file formats of your designs supplied to them for their future use.

The main advantage besides price or plotting that I've heard over the years, is when people know the program already. If you don't, I think Illustrator is a better choice. (I don't really care that others will disagree... I just consider it a worthy suggestion for cajunsignguy)

player

Don' forget that Corel is not a true postscript level 3 so the colors do not stay consistant from program to program or to the printer.

I think Illustrator would be much better if you are looking into a new vector program.

P

cvele

I've been using Corel Draw since 1992. The most stable version - and also the version from which I haven't needed any new features - is 9

So if you'd like to go with lower version and save quite a lot of monies I'd suggest you go with Corel 9 for the start ($100 tops at ebay)