• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which font?

SignManiac

I've been asked by a local cub scout pack to make a sign. This will be my first paid sign and I want to use a real font. What is the best one. There are fifty lines of rules and I have to cut the letters on my leopard cutter at 1/8" high to fit on the plywood board.

Thanks ahead of time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hi there...............

I would make sure it's a font well liked by the other Cub Scouts...... and to be 'Politically Correct', Girl Scouts and any other groups looking to play with Cub Scouts. To make sure it's real, look it up on Google and just drop it into your font folder. If it goes in Okay, you're fine to proceed. It'll be real alright. For 50 lines, cut on your animal cutter, you might consider some of the more decorative styles as they have real pizazz and regardless of the how tedious it is or not..... go with what you like on the screen. At 1/8" high, consider going upper and lower case, so it's easier to read that much copy. Before putting it on the plywood, you might want to consider painting it. Cub Scouts are in blue, so I'd imagine a blue background with gold letters will do real nice for them.

Remember, when it's finished, you must collect all your money, cause I'm sure being non-profit they won't give you a deposit, which is quite alright, since they're honest little kids.

Good luck and if you don't mind..... a friend of mine lives in Florida near you and his son turns 10 today. Make sure you tell him happy Birthday for me. :rolleyes:

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I beg to differ Fred. I think Algerian would be a better choice at that size.

Algerian_font.jpg

Jeff

I would suggest cutting it out of that shinny silver diamond plate looking stuff if you can...but maybe the shinny gold stuff would be better to stay with the cub scout colors. The plywood will give the shinny gold a nice look!

SignManiac

I was told that comic sans might be a good choice because it doesn't have those things that stick out on the end of the letters? Is that an expensive font?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Just a suggestion and it just occurred to me although I thought about it long ago but didn't remember it till now that you would be better off to use an old blade when you go to cut all those letters so you don't ruin a new blade cause they cost some serious money if you know what I mean.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As for the Nature theme, tell them under no such terms will you allow this to leave your shop, let alone come in from a supplier. You are THE professional here [don't tell them you don't know what you're doing..... just fake it like everyone else] and you will pick the theme along with the colors. They have no say in the matter.

As for the font, I'd look into BalMoral and just beef it up a tad. However, if they insist on all caps, try Old English. That's always a go-to font for us. :thumb:

SignManiac

Okay so I discussed it with the pack leaders and they all ruled out the leopard print and voted to go with camo. They said it fits the image of cubbing and the great outdoors. They want the camo for the background and think black would be best for the letters. I told them it might not stand out as well as orange? They plan to consider that at their next meeting.

SignManiac

This is where I'm at so far. I'd welcome critiques from you professionals. I'm here to learn just as long as you're not mean and try to deliberately hurt my feelings. Most here are very generous but some here are excessively hurtful sometimes. Thanks again!

Attachments

• cub.jpg
    cub.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 66

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wish you'd given us more information up front, instead of all this back & forth crap. Let them have their Den Meeting and figure out what they THINK they want and don't come back until you have more frickin' details. Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch is all I can think of during these kinda threads...................

Now if ya hurry, ya can still make it to that birthday party and tell that kid Happy Birthday for me. :wink:

SignManiac

Now that I look at it Mr. Jhill, they were right after all. I guess even us sign persons can learn a thing or two from the customer!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey Buster.................

You said 50 lines of copy. You only have 25 shown. S'up wit dat ??

I think you're trying to pull something over on this highly intelligent audience here. This is your first sign, so step gently or you'll have your a$$ handed to ya in a New York Minute..... and I ain't even from New York. That would be an Amish sun dial spot or almost 3 minutes, like an egg or a well made turkey sandwich. If the hiligand rough surface gets too far, drop another teal watermelon off for Edna and get this boat in the oven before it dries. Once everything is water, you'll have to start over when it yellows and gets to a milky mouse dropping consistency. Sprinkle some belly-button lint on the coat and it will be delivered April 8th.

SignManiac

They haven't finished making up the new rules yet. The rest are under review to make sure they are politically correct. Seems some parents are concerned about the corporal punishment of their children if they don't follow the rules.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Now this I can understand. Especially down there in Florida........the other Florida. Isn't that where some nutjob tries to entrap local people, then go on the news to embarrass them, only to make a jack-off of himself ?? :omg: