Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Question Which is better: Many Small Runs or Long Run of Larger Decals?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by RayGun, Sep 1, 2017.

1. RayGun

RayGun New Member

Aug 31, 2017
    North Carolina
    Hey All,
    I've got some 30"x3" decals I've been running in short batches of 20 so that I can handle the sheet from print (mimaki jv150-160) to laminate (easymount) to the plotter (graphtec 8600-130). While I am able to keep handling the sheets with no problem, I feel I am wasting a good amount of material in all the excess I have to add so the laminator and the plotter will work. I'd love to do a long run on a roll, but I'm unsure of how to make the graphtec stay in alignment over a long run, especially if it's on a roll. Is there a setting in Flexi to give each decal or every few decals a registration mark?

TL/DR: How to set up long runs of decals on a roll in FLEXI for separate print/laminate/cut?

Tags:
  2. thezigman

thezigman Sign maker near Chicago

Jan 26, 2017
    Chicago
    In flexi you can choose different types of contour registration marks. Try using the Graphtec segment types.
    I think you'll have to adjust the plotter so it knows which marks to look for

• Like Like x 1
  3. RayGun

RayGun New Member

Aug 31, 2017
    North Carolina
    Any tutorials or videos for file set up that you know of that can walk me through that specifically? Seems like flexi only makes bare-bones knowledge available but if you want anything of actual use, you'll have to buy their training dvds.
    I've got cutting master 4 and flexi 12 - file was originally built in flexi. (It's just words inside a rounded corner rectangle.)
    Thanks again for the help!

4. I print anywhere from 12" to 48" of my file and repeat it how ever many times I need with .25" gap between (eliminates the possibility that the wrong crop will be read if the media skews etc.)

5. thezigman

thezigman Sign maker near Chicago

Jan 26, 2017
    Chicago

I use Flexi 10.
    this video shows where the options for different registration marks are located.
    The marks are specific to the type of cutter that you are using.

6. T_K

T_K Member

May 23, 2016
    Georgetown, TX
    On our Roland Versacamm I can only get cutting accuracy for about 6-8 feet long, depending on how many cutlines there are. This is within the specs of the machine (deviation of ±0.3% of distance traveled, or ±0.3 mm, whichever is greater). Plus there's a ±0.5mm deviation on the print/cut alignment after laminating. So I try to keep my batches around 6 ft long. But I will print them back to back so I have one long sheet to laminate, reroll and send back through for cutting. It requires a bit more button clicking, but I don't have to redo the decals.