Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which magazines do you subscribe to?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Checkers, May 3, 2007.

What Magazines do you subscribe to or read on a regualr basis?

Poll closed May 10, 2007.
  1. A Magazine About Letterheads

5.3%
  2. Big Picture

21.3%
  3. Digital Graphics

33.3%
  4. Sign Builder Illustrated

42.7%
  5. Sign Business

60.0%
  6. SignCraft

66.7%
  7. Signs of the Times

38.7%
  8. Sign Update

2.7%
  9. Other - Industry Related

18.7%
  10. Other - Non-Industry related

22.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    This is my first attempt at a poll. So, please bear with me if I screw it up :)

What industry related magazines do you subscribe to or read on a regular basis?

I'm sure there are others that should be on the list. But, this is all I could come up with off the top of my head.

You're more than welcome to add comments and tell us what you're reading on a regular basis.

Thanks,

Checkers

Last edited: May 3, 2007
    Tags:
  2. Checkers

Jul 24, 2003
    Dang, I forgot the most important question. How many of you do not subscribe to any industry related publications?

Hey Fred,
    is there a way to add that into this poll?

Checkers

3. animenick65

animenick65 Very Active Member

May 18, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Is Playboy industry related? I forget :(
    We get that Digital Output mag here.

4. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    checkers, you can add that just hit the edit button

5. Checkers

Jul 24, 2003
    Either I did something wrong or I can't edit the poll . Oh well :(

6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    A good question would be how many magazines do you actually PAY for.
    I get a lot of them but only Signcraft and Signs of the Times cost me.

7. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    I don't subscribe to any magazines anymore. I use Google as my primary information source for nearly everything. I don't even use an old fashioned yellow pages phone book anymore.

8. THATgirl

THATgirl Very Active Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I don't read any of them anymore either. Got too many for awhile...didn't have time to read them. Too much digital and LED stuff now.

9. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Reading is foodage for the brain... I read a lot of sign related magazines except for the 2 paid subscription ones. I also subscribe to Laptop magazine, Radio Control Hobbies, and R/C Driver to name a few...

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

What the Hell Checkers, do you know primaries are in two weeks and Florida doesn't do THAT kinda stuff......... lol

11. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    would be reading most of those and more,.. if I could get more work or better prices for what I do .... also suppliers here do not stock them the ones that do takes 1 to 2 hrs out of day to get 1 or 2 mags grrrrr
    freedom is not free

12. Pro Signs & Graphix

Pro Signs & Graphix Very Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Oh yes they do! :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Oops:

13. k.a.s.

k.a.s. Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2003
    NE ohio
    I actully subscibe to most of the main ones and read and look forward to them coming. My favorite is SignCraft, but I also enjoy Sign Business. I think there is a lot of good info and inspiration in these mags, if I am stuck on a design an old issue of Signcraft helps me to get some new ideas. IMO if you have never read these check them out I think they can be an asset to any shop.

Kevin

14. Urban Image

Urban Image Member

Jan 11, 2007
    I subscribe to Sign Builder and Sign Business. I also subscribe to a magazine called Wide Format Imaging. I have a copy of Digital Graphics somewhere but I don't know how I got it. I never subscribed.

15. Rich

Rich Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I get a free subscription to Sign Builder & Sign Business.

The only one I pay for is my favorite: SignCraft. I was one of the first to subscribe to their fine magazine. I have their Premier Issue / Vol. 1 No. 1 right in front of me. I had to go find it to see when it first came out.....hard to believe that first issue was released way back in 1980!

Over the years the magazine has offered a wealth of tips and inspiration for all of us!

16. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    I'm a big book and magazine reader. I get the major sign mags, Signcraft and AMAL (when they put one out) are my favorites. I also get quite a few Graphic/Design Design Mags like:

How (my favorite)
    Communication Arts
    Step
    Print
    CMYK
    Dynamic Graphics
    Juxtapoz
    ID
    Graphis
    Metropolis
    ReadyMade
    Modernism
    Atomic Ranch

and I also get culture/automotive mags like:

Beautiful Decay
    RE: UP
    Garage
    Barracudda
    Old School Rodz
    Hop Up
    The Rodders Journal
    Car Kulture Deluxe
    Dice

and a few more if I like the issue at the newsstand. I don't get to read all the way through some of them but when I am thinking I grab a magazine and get into an article that interests me of if the job somehow fits, I will dig through old issues for inspiration.

17. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    If :signs101: put out a magazine . . . I would subscribe to that !

18. Bob Gilliland

Bob Gilliland Member

May 23, 2003
    Like Rick, I love books and magazines! While the wife usually doesn’t see it this way for magazines :rolleyes: , I do; if I get one thing from it a year, it was usually worth the subscription. And it is unusual to only get one thing a year (more like one thing each publication)

Here is a sampling of some that I put under the “Other - Industry Related” banner.

• Auto Graphics
    • Awards & Engraving
    • Communication Arts
    • Creativity
    • Digital Output
    • Digital Graphics
    • Dynamic Graphics
    • GDUSA (Graphic Design USA)
    • HOW
    • Package Printing
    • POP Display
    • Quick Printing

Some of the above are paid subscriptions, some are comped, and others simply free. Then there are those that come as part of membership or association like In Park (Publication of IAAPA), Photoshop User (Publication of NAPP), etc. Also joining the above list are a few “industry specific” for the various markets that I’m involved with, like Convenience Store News, Creative, DDI (Display and Design Ideas), Self Service World and VM+SD.

Similar to what Rick mentions above, very few get cover to cover viewing. They are there as reference, source, and perhaps idea starters and not for digesting every word and ad between each cover.

19. blackicefx

blackicefx Active Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Sign of the times
    Signcraft

Car and Driver
    HCI
    Honda Tuning
    Super Street

I get most of the car related mags to keep up to date in what's popular with the car shows and aftermarkets.

Matthew
    BlackIceFX

20. Former member

Former member Member

Mar 24, 2006
    I pick up almost the identical set of graphics mags as Rick when i'm at the newstand. + Photoshop User, ComputerArts ( great how to mag from england) and Layers

great minds think alike rick.... lol