• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which magazines do you subscribe to?

What Magazines do you subscribe to or read on a regualr basis?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Checkers

This is my first attempt at a poll. So, please bear with me if I screw it up :)

What industry related magazines do you subscribe to or read on a regular basis?

I'm sure there are others that should be on the list. But, this is all I could come up with off the top of my head.

You're more than welcome to add comments and tell us what you're reading on a regular basis.

Thanks,

Checkers

Last edited:

Checkers

Dang, I forgot the most important question. How many of you do not subscribe to any industry related publications?

Hey Fred,
is there a way to add that into this poll?

Checkers

Billct2

A good question would be how many magazines do you actually PAY for.
I get a lot of them but only Signcraft and Signs of the Times cost me.

SignManiac

I don't subscribe to any magazines anymore. I use Google as my primary information source for nearly everything. I don't even use an old fashioned yellow pages phone book anymore.

THATgirl

I don't read any of them anymore either. Got too many for awhile...didn't have time to read them. Too much digital and LED stuff now.

WVB

Reading is foodage for the brain... I read a lot of sign related magazines except for the 2 paid subscription ones. I also subscribe to Laptop magazine, Radio Control Hobbies, and R/C Driver to name a few...

Craig Sjoquist

would be reading most of those and more,.. if I could get more work or better prices for what I do .... also suppliers here do not stock them the ones that do takes 1 to 2 hrs out of day to get 1 or 2 mags grrrrr
freedom is not free

k.a.s.

I actully subscibe to most of the main ones and read and look forward to them coming. My favorite is SignCraft, but I also enjoy Sign Business. I think there is a lot of good info and inspiration in these mags, if I am stuck on a design an old issue of Signcraft helps me to get some new ideas. IMO if you have never read these check them out I think they can be an asset to any shop.

Kevin

Urban Image

I subscribe to Sign Builder and Sign Business. I also subscribe to a magazine called Wide Format Imaging. I have a copy of Digital Graphics somewhere but I don't know how I got it. I never subscribed.

Richard Flint

I get a free subscription to Sign Builder & Sign Business.

The only one I pay for is my favorite: SignCraft. I was one of the first to subscribe to their fine magazine. I have their Premier Issue / Vol. 1 No. 1 right in front of me. I had to go find it to see when it first came out.....hard to believe that first issue was released way back in 1980!

Over the years the magazine has offered a wealth of tips and inspiration for all of us!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I'm a big book and magazine reader. I get the major sign mags, Signcraft and AMAL (when they put one out) are my favorites. I also get quite a few Graphic/Design Design Mags like:

How (my favorite)
Communication Arts
Step
Print
CMYK
Dynamic Graphics
Juxtapoz
ID
Graphis
Metropolis
ReadyMade
Modernism
Atomic Ranch

and I also get culture/automotive mags like:

Beautiful Decay
RE: UP
Garage
Barracudda
Old School Rodz
Hop Up
The Rodders Journal
Car Kulture Deluxe
Dice

and a few more if I like the issue at the newsstand. I don't get to read all the way through some of them but when I am thinking I grab a magazine and get into an article that interests me of if the job somehow fits, I will dig through old issues for inspiration.

Bob Gilliland

Like Rick, I love books and magazines! While the wife usually doesn’t see it this way for magazines :rolleyes: , I do; if I get one thing from it a year, it was usually worth the subscription. And it is unusual to only get one thing a year (more like one thing each publication)

Here is a sampling of some that I put under the “Other - Industry Related” banner.

• Auto Graphics
  • Awards & Engraving
  • Communication Arts
  • Creativity
  • Digital Output
  • Digital Graphics
  • Dynamic Graphics
  • GDUSA (Graphic Design USA)
  • HOW
  • Package Printing
  • POP Display
  • Quick Printing

Some of the above are paid subscriptions, some are comped, and others simply free. Then there are those that come as part of membership or association like In Park (Publication of IAAPA), Photoshop User (Publication of NAPP), etc. Also joining the above list are a few “industry specific” for the various markets that I’m involved with, like Convenience Store News, Creative, DDI (Display and Design Ideas), Self Service World and VM+SD.

Similar to what Rick mentions above, very few get cover to cover viewing. They are there as reference, source, and perhaps idea starters and not for digesting every word and ad between each cover.

blackicefx

Sign of the times
Signcraft

Car and Driver
HCI
Honda Tuning
Super Street

I get most of the car related mags to keep up to date in what's popular with the car shows and aftermarkets.

Matthew
BlackIceFX

Former member

I pick up almost the identical set of graphics mags as Rick when i'm at the newstand. + Photoshop User, ComputerArts ( great how to mag from england) and Layers

great minds think alike rick.... lol