• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which ones i have to choose Mimaki CG160FX / CG160FXII or Graphtec f7000 / FC8000?

Freeride

Hi Guys,
i have to purchase one plotter now, I'm not sure which i will choose.
I will buy the Printer Mimaki JV33-160 in a week, now i have many option for the plotter.
I need your comments to help me. Now i have good offer for both, the Mimaki CG160FXII or the Graphtec FC8000.

I could have also the Mimaki CG160FX not II version or the FC7000.
So now please give your feedback Guys!!!

Thanks

Jim Doggett

Any of the following are good choices:

Graphtec
Graphtec
Graphtec

:^)

Kidding a bit. But truly, Graphtec is widely regarded as superior, to all other cutters. The new-generation ARMS on the FC8000 widens its lead even more. The cut-quality, especially on thicker, laminated images is noticeably better on Graphtecs. The tracking too, which is guaranteed to 50 feet, is both a frustration and money-saver. Botching a contour-cut is no small thing. It not only wastes money, it often results in missing deadlines. So your contour-cutting plotter choice is a big consideration.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Doggett

Hi Free,

Not personally. However, I've had a fair amount of experience with my former employer, and now SignWarehouse, with folks upgrading to Summa (former employer) or Graphtec (current employer is the #1 Graphtec dealer) when the Mimaki cutter they got with their printer didn't quite meet their needs.

The feeling that I think most will express here is that Graphtec and Summa are the two top-of-the-line cutters. The rub is that Summas, which are made in Belgium, have suffered from the Euro-Dollar exchange rate. So Summas are pretty spendy, making Graphtec a lot more cutter for the dollar. For reliable contour cutting and die-cutting (Flex-cut on Summa, Perf-Cut on Graphtec), Summa with OPOS X or Graphtec with ARMS is the way to go. Vinyl cutting is pretty forgiving ... since a cut letter that's off by a mm or two goes unnoticed. Contour-cutting really needs to be spot on ... even tiny errors are noticeable. So I'd think in terms of quality when choosing a contour-cutter.

To match your 64-inch JV3, you'll want to consider these product, in my opinion:

Summa S Class D160: $8999 at www.summastore.com
Graphtec FC8000-160: $6000-$6200 from us or any number of other Graphtec dealers

Something else to consider is whether you'll really ever need to contour-cut full-width prints. You probably won't, since label jobs are often best in narrower widths. Both Summa and Graphtec can track 36-inch more accurately than 64-inch, especially on longer runs. And large contour-cut graphics, like a giant football for example, tend to be faster and easier to hand-trim.

So you might do just great with a narrower cutter, such as 48-inch. That's plenty for all your contour and die-cutting and great for all cut-vinyl, which is still a big part of the business.

Going down a size can save about a grand on either a Summa or Graphtec.

Best Regards,

Jim

ScotJ

Thanks for your info for Graphtec. Do you have any experience from the Mimaki cutter?

I litterally bought this machine on Friday - still in the box but I'll have it setup shortly.

I'm in Toronto if you want to check it out some time.

I'll let you know my reviews shortly :)