Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which plastic to cut with laser?

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Accelerated Graphics, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Accelerated Graphics

Accelerated Graphics Active Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Burleson
    I have a customer wanting custom cutout trophies. I thought we could cut them out of 1/4" acrylic. Is this cheapest and easiest route?

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    it depends on how powerful your laser is, 1/4" acrylic will look very very thin when you make it into a trophy, we always try to go at least 3/8" thick, 1/2" is preferred

but at the end of the day, are you looking for cheap &easy, or a nice award? you can't really have both

3. Embosstek

Embosstek New Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To answer your original question: 1/4" acrylic is great for laser cutting, depending on your laser(wattage, cutting table, etc.) It seems a little thin for awards or trophies though.

On the other part of your question...I agree with watsons signs.

Custom awards/trophies and cheap and easy don't belong in the same sentence.

Why do so many sign and graphics "professionals" focus on cheap and easy. A real professional sells quality, service and detail. Get out of the Walmart philosophy!!

4. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Also make sure you have the correct acrylic to cut on the laser

5. Shadowglen

Shadowglen Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Dickinson, ND
    We Cut acrylic all of the time Mostly 1/4 inch. Standard sheet acrylic cuts great with proper wattage and speed. I have two 30 watt machines and one 40 watt. Do not try to cut Lexan unless you like toxic smoke and killing your optics. Also I have found leaving the paper on both sides works best specially if you have a honey comb table. If you want to cut and etch just power the laser higher than normal on the raster to go through paper and still etch plastic.