Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which RAID level is best 6 or 10?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by 2B, Jul 25, 2016.

1. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    We are currently upgrading and would like to hear what others are using for their RAID configuration.
    at current, we are leaning towards a RAID Level 6 or RAID Level 10

does anyone use either of these RAID configurations? if so what is your opinion of it?

we are setting up a
    QNAP High-Performance 8 bay (6+2) NAS/iSCSI IP-SAN. Intel Skylake Core i5 3.6 GHz Quad Core, 16GB RAM, 10G-ready
    [TABLE="width: 100"]
    [TR]
    [TD]QTY 2 SanDisk Ultra II 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SDSSDHII-240G-G25
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]QTY 6 WD Red WD40EFRX 4TB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" NAS Hard Drive Bare Drive
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Tags:
  2. greysquirrel

greysquirrel Member

Aug 13, 2015
    West Berlin, NJ
    Just went through this decision myself last week...had a backup drive fail....fortunately it was a backup...went with a 12TB Gtech Studio drive RAID 10...cuts my storage in half but I maintain performance...that was most important to me...I can always add more storage.

3. oksigns

oksigns Member

Apr 27, 2015
    USA
    Raid 10 for speed. With the cost and capacity of hard drives these days, it's okay that I sacrifice ~3TB

4. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I prefer 6 RAID.

We run 3 NAS devices (2 QNAPS).

Bare in mind too, speed is also dependant on the peripherals that connect your NAS to the computer and how good that equipment is as well. Especially depending on the density of what is being sent.

I would also make sure to have UPSs connected to these bad boys as well.