• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which vinyl should be good to avoid these failures

harpreet27

Hi can anyone please tell me which vinyl should be used to avoid these kind of failures on reefer trailers..

Attachments

• 90BC2D59-DB12-45B3-95DB-705AE2961E53.jpeg
    90BC2D59-DB12-45B3-95DB-705AE2961E53.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 540

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The failing vinyl has been printed so you should use a digital cast vinyl and a cast overlaminate if you want it to hold up.
3M 180 series or better with a matching cast overlaminate.
If you are not going to print and just use solid colors you still need a cast vinyl. 3M sells 7125 or 7725 will work. Even their 2080 wrap film would work. With air release channels it would be easier to instill over those ribs.
Even with good vinyl, you'll need good technique to get the material laid down with the least amount of tension & stretching so that it stays down.

Last edited:

brdesign

Use a cast wrap vinyl and on the install, start at the top and feed the vinyl over the humps rather than trying to stretch it down into the valleys. So what exactly do they haul in a "reefer" trailer?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Your photo shows a couple of things. One, try never to print a full bleed. Even though edge lifting is not apparent here, it's always best to leave a white border proportional to the image. Two, a miserable installation.

For this job most any premium cast printable vinyl will do. Far more is the site preparation and the installation than what vinyl you happen to use.

brdesign

Your photo shows a couple of things. One, try never to print a full bleed. Even though edge lifting is not apparent here, it's always best to leave a white border proportional to the image. Two, a miserable installation.

For this job most any premium cast printable vinyl will do. Far more is the site preparation and the installation than what vinyl you happen to use.
I've never really had an issue with full bleed print and cut graphics as long as I give the print enough time to dry before laminating and cutting. Cutting a full bleed print that is fresh off the printer and not laminated is guaranteed to curl the edges at least on a solvent printer.

Precision

Ij180cv3/8518 lam. You might check out some install videos for laying down vinyl on a corrugated trailer.

harpreet27

The failing vinyl has been printed so you should use a digital cast vinyl and a cast overlaminate if you want it to hold up.
3M 180 series or better with a matching cast overlaminate.
If you are not going to print and just use solid colors you still need a cast vinyl. 3M sells 7125 or 7725 will work. Even their 2080 wrap film would work. With air release channels it would be easier to instill over those ribs.
Even with good vinyl, you'll need good technique to get the material laid down with the least amount of tension & stretching so that it stays down.
Thanks

Precision

Yes it was cold but installed over 3 years ago …
If I were to guess it is calendared vinyl and overtime shrank and caused the tenting across the corrugation. An inexperienced truck wash employee with a power washer could easily cause that to happen. My best guess anyway. Ij180 sticks to everything and let's you sleep at night. Use 8518 (gloss uv lam, mostly car wraps) or 8520 ( matte uv lam, for both interior and exterior walls). It costs more, but the results are something good with a decent life span. And again you sleep better knowing you used the best materials.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
Cast Vinyl / Cast Laminate.... and Maybe use some 3M Primer in the deep areas with heat while applying the decals? We've done some trailers like that and installed the vinyl going in and out
of the deep areas and then over each rib. Not trying to bridge the vinyl across the raised ribs then heating and pushing them down into the recessed areas. If you do that it will probably pop back up.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've never really had an issue with full bleed print and cut graphics as long as I give the print enough time to dry before laminating and cutting. Cutting a full bleed print that is fresh off the printer and not laminated is guaranteed to curl the edges at least on a solvent printer.
Then, you've been lucky. Edge peeling back is generally because of going fully to the edge and not going over it with another piece, such as in a wrap. Again, that is with a dark color or of intense ink saturation.

It doesn't happen often, but to say you've never experienced it, just sounds odd......and lucky.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Then, you've been lucky. Edge peeling back is generally because of going fully to the edge and not going over it with another piece, such as in a wrap. Again, that is with a dark color or of intense ink saturation.

It doesn't happen often, but to say you've never experienced it, just sounds odd......and lucky.
Dude, that never happens. When it does, you just blame it on the car wash or the cleaning lady.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Dudette..... I have samples in my shop that was never in the weather that peeled back. I've seen it happen to us, as well as other people. It's a fact, jack.

harpreet27

If I were to guess it is calendared vinyl and overtime shrank and caused the tenting across the corrugation. An inexperienced truck wash employee with a power washer could easily cause that to happen. My best guess anyway. Ij180 sticks to everything and let's you sleep at night. Use 8518 (gloss uv lam, mostly car wraps) or 8520 ( matte uv lam, for both interior and exterior walls). It costs more, but the results are something good with a decent life span. And again you sleep better knowing you used the best materials.
Yup …!! Severe pressure wash can be the reason …i am very thankfull to you for your suggestion ..