• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which would you pick

ucmj22

So I had this kid (22) call me wanting a sign for this business he is starting. He sent me his "logo", and after seeing it I tried to give him some help since I hate making ugly signs. I made him a new logo in about 25 min so I wasnt even going to charge him for design (I know, bad idea).... he still wanted the one he made. Now this is a brand new business he has no stake in his Identity yet, so wouldnt you think you could swallow your pride and take a more dynamic logo? I dont know maybe I'm just a snob. What would you do?

Attachments

• UNTITLED-2.jpg
    UNTITLED-2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 78

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I like your idea, hate the type...

There is a process to my snobbery... if I need the cash, I'm not a snob. I think it's good to practice both giving them what they want, and once in a while, standing up for good design. Your design has legibility issues, and it's probably too designey for this client.

I get paid to design, but I'm gonna say something really bad.... some businesses succeed even with a crappy logo... you sometimes don't really need it (I'm going to hell anyways so why not say it) my favorite local taco joint has squeezed helvetica channel letters...

On this, I would do some research, show him competitors logos or similar types of business as part of the presentation to justify your design, if he thinks the design fell out of your butt, then he is probably thinking his crap is just as good.

Since you are designing for free, you get no corn dog!!!!

ucmj22

I agree on the font legibility, but I figured if he wants to set himself apart as a dance studio (He specializes in Hip hop / break dancing) then He might want something with a little more edge to it. I was hoping the recognizability of the logo as a whole would offset the readability of the font.

jwright350

well... he says its not your ordinary dance studio... maybe its the one with the bad customer designed logo. LOL

your's look excellent.

Rick

I agree on the font legibility, but I figured if he wants to set himself apart as a dance studio (He specializes in Hip hop / break dancing) then He might want something with a little more edge to it. I was hoping the recognizability of the logo as a whole would offset the readability of the font.

Not feeling that explanation... there are street/edgy legible typefaces... you can't recognize something if you don't know it, this is a start up, there is no brand .

Here is another idea... offer your services to do large wall graphics in a street style.

Jillbeans

His is far more legible.
Not that yours isn't dynamic.
But if someone doesn't want a logo they will never buy one.
His girlfriend probably did that in Microsoft Word.
You can design for free all you want, but usually when you just hand someone something for free they do not appreciate it.
I have tried in the past to "out-do" nephew art, usually with few takers.
Since his is a brand new business, if you can't read his name in his logo, it's not doing him much good.
Maybe tart up what he has and try that.
Love.....Jill

ucmj22

I have a feeling his mom designed it for him. She seems to be calling all the shots. she didnt like the sign I made because the phone# stood out more than the name, but unless I put it over distracting CD's everything is going to stand out more. eventually she just made me stretch out the CD image vertically to take up more space so that the phone number would have to be smaller.

Craig Sjoquist

Well even though your design is good and edged his does read well except for that black fade all around really spoils the design.

What I do is take what customer brings and just make simple improvements, like what I would do is use less black fade or use gray and less. win win both ways.

ucmj22

ummm phone number?

are you saying yours is the cd one?

I dont get it

even though this job is pretty much a done deal i reworked this real quick after all of the hits on the font legibility. I think either of these would be better.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 91

ucmj22

forgot to take it out after the font change. I had put a couple extra in there when using Luna bar or the D and Y overlapped horribly

TheSellOut

Well since we are designing for free...

I didn't read that part until I laid this out...but the design looked fun and gave me a chance to use one of my newer "Letterhead Fonts"...LHF Magnum!

I think you need a more urban feel...and possibly...to charge for your design work!

Attachments

• Rhythm Effects.jpg
    Rhythm Effects.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 82

KSDzine

I like your newer designs much better. Sometimes people dont understand what makes a good logo and you have to explain why. I mean your a good designer for more resons than just being a good artist... maybe tell him that music and dance hardly even use Cds (everything is MP3s nowadays) and the logo with the Cd will date itself after a few years... where the logo with the dancer shows exactly what he does..and will always do. Besides it is a dance business not a recording business right? After a few years of using the logo with the cd he will want to redesign it because it is out of date...

nice work

saktrnch

... maybe tell him that music and dance hardly even use Cds (everything is MP3s nowadays) and the logo with the Cd will date itself after a few years...

I think it was stated his Mom designed the logo. If it would have been his Grandma, it would have had 8 tracks instead.

Dan Antonelli

I get paid to design, but I'm gonna say something really bad.... some businesses succeed even with a crappy logo... you sometimes don't really need it (I'm going to hell anyways so why not say it) my favorite local taco joint has squeezed helvetica channel letters...

True- but success in spite of poor brand is not a valid reason to perpetuate it (That's going on my tombstone). Imagine how much more your Taco stand might be if it actually had a good identity.

The reason many business owner choose to perpetuate their poor identity is that their success, or degrees of success, have given them a false sense of security, or more accurately, complacency.

You can always hear clients saying 'why do I need to change it - it's been working for x number of years'. The smart owners do not let their ego dictate the decision, and instead they choose to trust professionals, who do actually know better on how to market their business.

The primary difference between the most successful small business owners I've worked with, and the mediocre ones, all come down to one thing: their ego.

You guys can read a much more in-depth discussion about the perils of ego in small business management in my next SignCraft article.

Now, back to the logo. Your second logo, with the better type is a much better brand to build on then his Compact Disc Record Store one, which, does not even fit the definition of a logo. My prediction: Out of business in less than a year. Would a logo change the outcome? Maybe, but I'll base my assumption on the fact that he's too immature to trust a professional, and therefore, way too immature to run a successful business.

Rick

True- but success in spite of poor brand is not a valid reason to perpetuate it (That's going on my tombstone). Imagine how much more your Taco stand might be if it actually had a good identity.

It wouldn't because they also do not invest in good seating, counter, menu, uniforms... a good logo may not hurt, but it'd like putting lipstick on a pig... their branding is good greasy tacos in a crap hole store

The reason many business owner choose to perpetuate their poor identity is that their success, or degrees of success, have given them a false sense of security, or more accurately, complacency.

That may or may not be true, some people just make good tacos and are clueless, there is another place who is slowly changing their look as they make money, their tacos are okay and they may catch the stray outsider, but that place is another rathole, but with a nicer look... the menu is a mess

You can always hear clients saying 'why do I need to change it - it's been working for x number of years'. The smart owners do not let their ego dictate the decision, and instead they choose to trust professionals, who do actually know better on how to market their business.

The other problem is, finding a good designer... it's probably just as hard to find a good designer as it is to find a good client.

The primary difference between the most successful small business owners I've worked with, and the mediocre ones, all come down to one thing: their ego.

This I agree and I can't wait to see your article. The thing I was thinking on this client is, if their logo sucks and you can't change that, you might catch them when they decorate the place... one of the principle if environmental graphics is giving the area a "sense of place"

You guys can read a much more in-depth discussion about the perils of ego in small business management in my next SignCraft article.

Now, back to the logo. Your second logo, with the better type is a much better brand to build on then his Compact Disc Record Store one, which, does not even fit the definition of a logo. My prediction: Out of business in less than a year. Would a logo change the outcome? Maybe, but I'll base my assumption on the fact that he's too immature to trust a professional, and therefore, way too immature to run a successful business.

---

Flame

Aw but in the end it IS image...maybe they have squeezed helvetica, but nice counters, chairs etc...that's IMAGE. What we sell is IMAGE, in limited media. We are pushing a message, but also...so is the condition of their building, the people who work there. It's all one working package that influences a person before they even taste the product. I believe for a restaurant to succeed, it requires both IMAGE and PRODUCT. They have to taste good....and look like their food (well, you know what I mean).

I actually want to write an article about businesses succeeding with a poor logo, as it's always the hardest customer to pitch to IMO.

Rick

Aw but in the end it IS image...maybe they have squeezed helvetica, but nice counters, chairs etc...that's IMAGE. What we sell is IMAGE, in limited media. We are pushing a message, but also...so is the condition of their building, the people who work there. It's all one working package that influences a person before they even taste the product. I believe for a restaurant to succeed, it requires both IMAGE and PRODUCT. They have to taste good....and look like their food (well, you know what I mean).

I actually want to write an article about businesses succeeding with a poor logo, as it's always the hardest customer to pitch to IMO.

But the place I am talking about is a craphole, no good furniture, lousy counter, cheap menu with handwritten items taped to the side... if the image is craphole, they got it... but it's not even a cheap craphole, it's kinda pricey.

The reason I bring it up is, I can design a really good logo, but if it's posted on crap with poor products, it's lipstick on a pig. I really push hard for a system....(logo, stationary, environment and sub out website) I rarely get that type of job. All I do is make things pretty, its the client who needs to make a big deal about their "brand" "image"... the start of it may be hiring me, but I only make it pretty and try to make it clever and inviting, but the client has to follow through with it.

I'm reminded why people wear t-shirts, it's all image, but it's their image or lifestyle, you just hit a nerve with them. One of the first things I designed as a freelancer many years ago, the design did not do all that well at first, the company gave it to some celebrity to wear and all the sudden the shirt was flying off the hangers, my client was pushing the product right.

I'm reminded of another thing... a lot of people on here treat business cards as throw-aways, I think of mine as a way to contact me. I don't just hand it out to anyone. When I do hand it out, they will get a verbal invitation to call me... most of you probably do that too, but I really believe in it otherwise I would not have made the investment in it... I have handed clients their new box of business cards, you usually get 2 reactions... one will toss the box aside and say goodbye, the others tear the box open like it's a Special Edition XBOX.. heck, I have even seen them sniff 'em. Who do you think is excited about their "brand" or image and will get the message out, that excitement is usually worth more than my design

The OP is showing a logo that may have some qualities, but he is showing something that only as 25 minute investment... that can, give a false sense of security, or more accurately, complacency on the designers end... there is no "real" reason for the client to bite.. it is good practice and you can open up discussion on adding wall, window, stationary and clothing graphics as part of the up-sell. But the effort deserves to be paid for, and more thought needs to be made on the designers end.

"This looks better than yours" is not a good sales technique...