Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Which would you prefer.................

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Gino, Dec 4, 2019.

1. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    There are different grades of ssd also.

Is this a new pc? Does it have an m2 slot? I'd get an m2 HD for your boot os if you have a slot. If not a sata3 also works.

Also, even if you're just designing with it.... PlAn for the future. one day at work new pics showed up... No one mentioned we were getting them. The it company we worked with knew nothing about what specs to use for a rip station.. It HD a really fast M2 HD... That was 64 gb. 30-40 was taken up by the os and software... Within two days of just printing my drive was filled up because some files were 3-4gb each.

You can get a 500gb Samsung m2 for under $75.

An ssd is just as reliable if not more so than a mechanical btw - they have limited writes to them... But you'd have to run the drive at full speed for 5+ years to reach the max writes these days. Odds are you'll be getting a new computer before it becomes an issue.

And honestly... Besides cpu, an ssd is the biggest performance boost your pc can get, generally speaking. So if you've never used one before..... Enjoy the first time you see windows boot up in 10-15 seconds.

2. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    This is the one that I upgraded to recently. Now, it was on sale when I originally got it, so worth it.

Is that with or without trimming the startup processes(if MS left that ability in Win 10) down to just the essentials? A little trick that worked well started with the Vista days.

The above SSD, I saw 8 seconds with XFCE. I just couldn't be without my eye candy, so I sacrificed a little bit of speed for transparencies, gradients, and a slightly heavier DE.

3. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    I rarely boot so I don't actually time it or care.

My home pc has a raid card and 18 hds. It takes roughly 60 seconds to get into windows with an ssd just because I have them spinning up staggered instead of all at once.

My work pc it seems like as soon as I hit restart it boots instantly to the login screen.. Then I have a ton of stuff open that takes 5-10 seconds to fully load after I sign in.

But side by side with a mechanical... It's 1/10 the speed. Every single person who asks me to help them buy a new laptop... I throw in a $40 ssd, maybe some more ram into their old one... And they feel like they just upgraded to a top of the line pc :D

I think every pc should use an ssd as the boot drive in this day and age. I'd never run an os without it.

4. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I'll shut down about once a week. No functional reason for it, just in the habit I reckon.

I timed it out of curiosity more then anything else.

5. Greg Kelm

Greg Kelm Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Just purchased a new server at work with top of the line 2tb ssd boot drive and 300tb of hdd storage.

Most PCs have been upgraded to a single ssd and use the server for storage so nothing is lost since its all stored on server. Some PCs have 10gb nic being installed too for high speed file transfers.

You will never go back once you use a computer with a ssd, everything functions much faster.