• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

which you recommend for someone just starting on the signs business?

Hello to all
I do screen printing and embroidery, I want to start doing signs, I been reading about Hp latex printers and Roland,
which you recommend for someone just starting on the signs business?

Dan360

There are a ton of threads about latex vs solvent and which are good starting printers on here. Do a search and read through those, they have lots of info.

2B

HP = print only and will require an upgraded power supply meaning you will have to buy a plotter and get electrical work done
Roland = Print and cut combo, less room and also less accuracy on longer cuts

either option will need a laminator.

since this is your first printer, find your closest vendor and have them show you how they work
also go to a trade show, better deals and easy to see side by side

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
What's your market? What types of signs are you looking to make? Who are you going to be selling them to?

These are just some of the factors that would decide what is your best option.

Like others have said, look through old posts here because this topic is brought up pretty often.

Also keep in mind software. Do you already have graphic design software? If so, will it work with the printer/cutter you're looking to purchase or will there be an additional cost for new software? Do you have someone currently employed by you that knows how to run a printer? Or are you planning to learn it? Do your current clients have sign needs that you would be able to meet? How much do you know about signs and manufacturing them?

Jun Lanon

I've used Stratojet Hawk 72" eco solvent roll to roll for my vinyl printing. It's an affordable price for a start up machine. I also have the Stratojet EFB2512 (4'x8') flatbed machine with no issues for my signage.

henryz

Your best start to make a decision is to go to a National sign show either in Fl. or Las Vegas there you will see 100 of printers and for different applications. Like WhiskeyDreamer mentioned you need to see what you want to do for signage and that should give you a better idea on equipment.

HP = print only and will require an upgraded power supply meaning you will have to buy a plotter and get electrical work done
Roland = Print and cut combo, less room and also less accuracy on longer cuts

either option will need a laminator.

since this is your first printer, find your closest vendor and have them show you how they work
also go to a trade show, better deals and easy to see side by side
Thank you

What's your market? What types of signs are you looking to make? Who are you going to be selling them to?

Like others have said, look through old posts here because this topic is brought up pretty often.

Also keep in mind software. Do you already have graphic design software? If so, will it work with the printer/cutter you're looking to purchase or will there be an additional cost for new software? Do you have someone currently employed by you that knows how to run a printer? Or are you planning to learn it? Do your current clients have sign needs that you would be able to meet? How much do you know about signs and manufacturing them?

What types of signs are you looking to make? Who are you going to be selling them to? I do a lot of schools and landscaping ,and other business
I want do banners, stickers, magnets , cars signs, windows signs

Also keep in mind software. Do you already have graphic design software?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
don't let upgraded power supply scare you from getting an HP, its what you need.

you will need two 220 lines, it's not a scary as it sounds, a 220 line is two 110 lines put together, it's that easy...

don't let upgraded power supply scare you from getting an HP, its what you need.

you will need two 220 lines, it's not a scary as it sounds, a 220 line is two 110 lines put together, it's that easy...
That will cost me $2000, here in palm Beach, so I think this the reason I'm thinking more about a Roland

Emd2kick

No here in palm beach
What Roland, even w/ the 2k you claim you need for proper powers the overall spend on a latex may be less? And if 2k is going to make the decisions for you then you’re not ready to invest in equipment. As stated you will need a laminator as well, regardless of what machine you buy. The major disadvantage to a print cut is that your printer is down when something needs to the cut.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Before you select any piece of equipment you have to determine the market you will be serving. Will you be able to offer installation and maintenance service to corporate entities, or local maintenance and installation to small businesses? This will help determine the type of fabrication equipment you need. The unique advantage a local sign shop has over any sign provider that is miles away is location and the economies of local installation and maintenance.

Considerations of local code and insurance requirements will help to determine the feasibility of your investment in service equipment and personal. The scale and scope of your contracts will help to determine space and material handling requirements. Local competition should be reviewed both for feasibility and pricing. Knowing the existing conditions of your market is essential.

Buying a printer, at this point, is a trivial consideration. One decent service truck can cost $100,000 or more; the cost of your physical plant, service fleet, and personal are your first considerations. There are plenty of trade printers that will service your printing needs for less cost than you can do it yourself.

All that said, you may have a business plan that does not include installation and maintenance. You may be a design based company, or apparel printing service that wants to add stickers, posters, and small banners to your offerings. If that is the case, I would strongly advice searching the internet to see what is already available (at the click of a button). You may decide that out-sourcing printing is much more feasible.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I dont like to depend on someone for my job

I get it. Don't outsource your core competency is a key in business. But you will always depend on someone else. The technicians that fix your printer, the supplier that sells you ink or material. The electrical company that supplies your power. You always are depending on someone. Also, there will be a time (I'm sure there has been already) where you had a choice to send a customer to your competitor for a product you couldn't make inhouse or find a vendor that could help you with it.

This industry is too wide to go at it alone, and your customers, in general, expect a one-stop shop.

Good luck either way and if you do find we can help with something, let us know! :)

What Roland, even w/ the 2k you claim you need for proper powers the overall spend on a latex may be less? And if 2k is going to make the decisions for you then you’re not ready to invest in equipment. As stated you will need a laminator as well, regardless of what machine you buy. The major disadvantage to a print cut is that your printer is down when something needs to the cut.
Thank you,

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Is there a substrate you are concerned with printing on? While you can print on most substrates with either printer, there might be a few specific substrates you need one or the other for. In my experience, there are a greater number of fabrics to print on with Latex. Also, the roland will not take much time to outgas with the newer generation of inks, but with Latex I believe you can laminate immediately. The latex heads are considered a consumable and you will replace them alot more often, but they are much lower cost than the heads in any of the Rolands.

I think between the two machines, you're not going to go wrong. Both are solid. Pros and cons either way which you will have a hard time distinguishing until you run them for a while and find out what your customers are really asking for.