• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White + Metallic ink price & speed

kustom.printing

Right guys we are currently thinking of investing in a second machine (we currently have a VS640 2 x CMYK) so the same machine but a little smaller VS540 for White and Metallic prints.

Ideally we need this printer as a backup for some of the busy times and trade work we do, but we also get a few inquiries a week for white clear stickers & could sell a few metallic jobs which we would like to print.
Here are my questions...

(1) How much ink (white & metallic) does it go through if not used at all (compared to my other dual CMYK printer)

(2) How slow is it per meter (if I took my current VS640 at high quality and 1/4 the speed on sticker material is this around the same speed as printing white instead).

artbot

i can't speak for the vs640, but on my 160sp, setting it ti white ink set causes the entire printer to do a few more auto cleans over the day. so it not only purges white frequently, it purges all colors frequently. doesn't your model have white ink recycling (what's nice is the 160sp can have a syringe hooked to a pump tube and catch the waste white which you can put back into the cart.)?

i'd put it on that option and load silver occasionally as a special occasion color.

also, i've seen the silver ink. you can get a much more dynamic print by printing on metallic film and trapping the silver/chrome with white ink negative space.

Custom_Grafx

Hi I also have the double CMYK 640 - my rep told me the white silver isn't crash hot - but if you need to do it, it's the best machine for it in its class. apparently some firmware updates recycle the white ink so the white ink wastage has been reduced somewhat.

Regarding all the numbers you seek - this seems to be a pretty cool spec sheet that lists all the configs and things... not sure how 'real life' the numbers are, but it's probably good enough?

http://rolanddga.com/products/printcut/versaVs/specifications.asp#subNavTop

Zakk

I own the VS-540 with metallic and white, but can't really compare it to your printer's speed or ink consumption since I have never owned the 640 or dual CMYK. It does, however, like to clean itself an awful lot and the white and metallic need to be shaken daily.

Ink changing

Can anyone tell me how to shange the inks from metallic/white to dual cmyk on a VS 540??
Thanks

2B

Can anyone tell me how to shange the inks from metallic/white to dual cmyk on a VS 540??
Thanks

you talk to a Roland rep/tech they will tell you can't be done. Reality is it can be done, pain in the booty, you have to flush all line SEVERAL times, if your worried about contamination than replace the lines.

artbot

i've found the best way to switch white to color is to get a syringe on the ink line (damper side, take off the damper). get a cheap refillable cart at the other end. fill it with acetone, and pull aggressively at the ink line then push aggressively. do this back and forth. you will hear the air in the line exahaust and bubble in the cart' each time. this provides much more action in the line than the pumps can work up.

also, do not! do not let that stuff dry in the line. it has particles that will coat the lines that do not react to even MEK. so keep the lines wet, set up with acetone and go nuts.

i'm sure the firmware will require you to do it's own thing. but really if you want to get it over with, use the cart and syringe.

so, let the firmware lead you through it. but before you even start, power down and do the acetone and syringe and bow out early.

if the firmware incessantly asks you if you need to do it again and again, separate the pump line and let it pump like mad not knowing it pumping nothing. ...by the way, the acetone is safe in that part of the printer. nothing but polyethylene and stainless steel.

Lincan

VS on CMYK lclm

VS on CMYK lclm mode is slow, it is slower than the VP540i by 30%, even with the fastest 360x720 banner setting

tampaprinting

Tampa Printing
I'm in the same boat. Debating between the vS540i and the Sp540i. The sales rep has a floor model and is trying to sell the VS for only $500 more than the Sp brand new. In the back of my mind, something is not adding up. Let me know your thoughts.