Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White or Clear Acrylic backlit sign...

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by bendeane, Feb 8, 2010.

1. bendeane

bendeane Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Okay, so here's the deal...I want to make sure I have all my options laid out before I dive into my first backlit sign. It's all about materials. I'm printing full color on a Mutoh 1614, laminating, and applying to acrylic and installing the final sheet with printed vinyl and lam into existing customer lightbox (4'x4'). I was getting information from one source saying get 7328 white acrylic and using a translucent vinyl over the top.

Got a phone call from a MacTac rep after a request for some samples and she said clear acrylic. When I told her a guy said white, she seemed like that wasn't the way to go.

Plastics mfg here in town said this..."Most of the sign people that I work with prefer to use a 7328 white acrylic for backlit signs."

Any suggestions? tips? etc.?

Thanks a bunch.

Ben

P.S. Just a little nervous about buying all the stuff with only 1 backlit order on the books. Want to make sure I buy all the right materials.

Tags:
  2. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    It's a matter of preference, I have sign shop clients that do one or both methods. One thing about clear acrylic is you have the option of adding transparent film (they make 30- and 60% diffuser) to it if you get hot-spotting, on translucent white, you can't "un-translucent" the acrylic.

3. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    Usually go 7328 white here :thumb:

4. bendeane

bendeane Member

Nov 10, 2009
    It's a darker print (I hate it but I can't convince the customer otherwise). Just FYI as I'm sure it would make a difference if the colors are darker (dark blue and green) as opposed to a bright orange or yellow.