• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White polycarb 1/16" in 5x8'

jman

So remember that round a corner cabinet sign? I finally took the panels down and the edges were in fact clipped as Gino said but it is only 1/16 of an inch thick and I can't find any of my suppliers to have something in white polycarbonate in a 5' by 8' flat panel sheet or roll stock.

Any ideas?

Johnny Best

That round corner sign had a pan face in it if I remember correctly. If your replacing with flat piece you might have to go with thicker material because 1/16" might just "flop" out of there. The pan gave it rigidity. Hopefully the track can fit a thicker piece of material.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Like Johnny said, measure the track and see of you can fit a normal sized poly sheet in there. Make sure there is enough height to the retainer channels too. I'd he nervous if they are 1" or smaller, you might have to screw through the face which might cause it to crack at a later time. I've learned on these pan faces that unless you're replacing it with a pan, I just pass.

Johnny Best

I curse a lot when I come across a screwed in face that won't slide out. And it seems they always use the self taping hex heads.

jman

Sorry for being late on this everybody!

So pretty much I called the original manufacturer in Cali that was once Signtronix, They brought up the original order from 2001 and forwarded me to the local sales rep. Apparently they have distribution across the USA to other shops for their signs.

They didn't want to sell wholesale and told me they could remake these from pan to art applied for $2300...Yeah I can't make anything on that.

The rep wouldn't tell me how thick they originally made them but as you can see, I'm not THAT crazy on stating they are as thin and I said. See the photos.

There's literally zero room in the cabinet because I had to fight pretty hard to get them even out. I called 3 pan face manufacturers and nobody can make this sign pan under .150 thick. I even had one guy who's done pan faces for 29 years tell me he can't believe even the photos lol

Monday I'm going to go to the customer who had this job and a few others which we already did just to be honest about not being able to complete it. Sucks but I don't have the know how to modify the cabinet to fit something thicker.

Appreciate you guys' help :)

Attachments

• 20190321_145253.jpg
    20190321_145253.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 130
  • 20190321_145411.jpg
    20190321_145411.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
  • 20190321_145327.jpg
    20190321_145327.jpg
    971.5 KB · Views: 151

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Sorry for being late on this everybody!

So pretty much I called the original manufacturer in Cali that was once Signtronix, They brought up the original order from 2001 and forwarded me to the local sales rep. Apparently they have distribution across the USA to other shops for their signs.

They didn't want to sell wholesale and told me they could remake these from pan to art applied for $2300...Yeah I can't make anything on that.

The rep wouldn't tell me how thick they originally made them but as you can see, I'm not THAT crazy on stating they are as thin and I said. See the photos.

There's literally zero room in the cabinet because I had to fight pretty hard to get them even out. I called 3 pan face manufacturers and nobody can make this sign pan under .150 thick. I even had one guy who's done pan faces for 29 years tell me he can't believe even the photos lol

Monday I'm going to go to the customer who had this job and a few others which we already did just to be honest about not being able to complete it. Sucks but I don't have the know how to modify the cabinet to fit something thicker.

Appreciate you guys' help :)

Did you already bid out the job? Is $2300 shipped all the way to you in the North East? If it is, add what you need and bring that to the customer instead of declining the job... You did all the leg work so far and you actually have a solution (just not a cheap one) Ask for $4 or $5k and let you customer decline it and call around and find no one else will do it. Explain that is cheaper then manufacturing a new can, removing the old one with a crane, lifting up a new one, welding it, permitting everything again which could run $10k. Don't beat yourself up over the bid being more expensive then if it was a flat sheet, it is what it is and ya gotta deal with the facts the way they are.

Johnny Best

I can see what your meter reads but that edge looks thicker than -1/64. Take a piece of paper and fold over edge of face and rub your hand over the paper so it bends down. Now measure that distance with a ruler or tape measure (my tape measure doen not even have a 1/64" marking, 1/16" is as small as it goes. I am not saying you are wrong in your measurement but have never seen a face that thin. Styrene maybe but not a pan face. Have used lexan that thin but it was clear.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I can see what your meter reads but that edge looks thicker than -1/64. Take a piece of paper and fold over edge of face and rub your hand over the paper so it bends down. Now measure that distance with a ruler or tape measure (my tape measure doen not even have a 1/64" marking, 1/16" is as small as it goes. I am not saying you are wrong in your measurement but have never seen a face that thin. Styrene maybe but not a pan face. Have used lexan that thin but it was clear.

I thought that too...looks thicker than 1/16"