• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White printing blue, yellow printing dark yellow, NO magenta, ink leaking

IsItFasst

Just when I think I got this machine going (been trying to get it right since October) I run into more problems. Roland VS-640. Finally got the machine where it printed fine 2 weeks ago when doing a bunch of test prints. Then last night decided to do a large print and the trouble started. Machine has been sitting, plugged in so it has been recirculating ink and cleaning itself for the last 2 weeks. But when I did a large print the colors were way off. Also a big blob of blue ink was left near the right roller I assume when the head came out during cleaning. I have also noticed ink pooling under the cap top but can't figure out where it is coming from. Those are the first clues.

Then the colors are off on the test print. I will attach for you to view. Lots of blue within the white ink, the yellow prints a dark yellow which is almost orange. And the magenta is not printing at all (yes there is ink the cartridge). Seems to be maybe a little separation between the first and second pass on the test print too.

Not even where sure to start since there are so many issues. I am guessing they are all related as it seems that when I did some cleanings 2 weeks ago that is when stuff started functioning properly. But when it sits things start to go bad. Any input would be grateful. I have a lot more gray hairs since I bought this machine.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3225.jpg
    IMG_3225.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 159

Ragnabrok

ink pooling under the cap, like on the metal?

These heads are all about the cap, whether it is aligned, the rubber is soft and even, the spring is still...well... springy, the lines are free of dried ink and the pump is flowing freely. a single medium clean should spurt through a good amount of ink.

I'd look at the ink lines above the heads, and see if any ink is merged in them, especially the white, it shouldn't look periwinkle.

if the cap hasn't been replaced in a year or more, just change it.

IsItFasst

ink pooling under the cap, like on the metal?

These heads are all about the cap, whether it is aligned, the rubber is soft and even, the spring is still...well... springy, the lines are free of dried ink and the pump is flowing freely. a single medium clean should spurt through a good amount of ink.

I'd look at the ink lines above the heads, and see if any ink is merged in them, especially the white, it shouldn't look periwinkle.

if the cap hasn't been replaced in a year or more, just change it.

Cap top is new. Actually replaced it twice just in case. Spring is very strong. The ink is pooling just below the cap top on the carriage it sits on (metal). I am guessing this is related to the main problem since if I manually push the head over to the printing area blue ink seems to be pouring out when not capped. Not sure what could be causing that or why the cross contamination. I am guessing maybe an air leak where something isn't sealed good which is causing ink to flow freely? All I know is it printed fine 2 weeks ago but the automatic cleaning and recirculating ink changed something.

Ragnabrok

sounds like dampers losing their seal, they tend to just flow rather than hold the ink steady. if a or all dampers are loosing a seal, every time the machine runs a cleaning it'll get worse, you could probably see air leaking into the ink lines during a cleaning, especially a choke cleaning.

IsItFasst

Yeah, I think I may start over and just replace all the dampers and cap top to be safe. But that is what I did 6 months ago that started a chain of reactions of major problems. At least I know now that there is an extra nipple on the bottom of the cap-top that needs a cover on it.

IsItFasst

Of coarse, I replace that stuff and then start seeing other errors. It's a never ending story with this #%#* machine. Now I get Service Call error 102 when trying to do a limit position initialize. Or I get error 103 when in service mode.

Ragnabrok

Those are head lock, and limit sensor errors respectively. Usually doing a proper limit position initialize takes care of those.

IsItFasst

Those are head lock, and limit sensor errors respectively. Usually doing a proper limit position initialize takes care of those.
I get the 102 error when trying to do a limit position initialize. Tried it about 20 times and shortly after the tool carriage disconnects the error pops up.

Ragnabrok

home position sensor? black plastic "U" on a small PCB behind the tool carriage when it's capped. there is a piece of metal that goes into the sensor, letting it know it is or isn't in home. if the heads are seperating, the lock is fine.