• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White spots on media

jonesdesign

nothing to see here folks
I have recently noticed white spots on media, ok so i figured the media was dirty so i advanced it, and still have white spots. So i tryed a different media, still white spots, and a third media, still white spots, i have cleaned the heads and i dont understand why these are showing up in the prints....

Roland XC-540

Thanks,
Jason

cgsigns_jamie

Are the spots in the same place on each print, or is it random? I've seen this happen many times but the cause has always been contaminated media.

What are you printing on?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
What type/brand of material are you printing on?
Are you using the right profile with the correct heat settings?

Mason

I just had a similar problem occur when printing to Avery 1005 EZRS, not just one roll but two, cleaned and test printed, same thing, changed the media to Oracal, Problem solved. So occasionally you just get bad/compromised media.

jonesdesign

Thanks guys, i also think that its the media, but what makes me wonder is that i have tried 3 different types of media and they all do it, these are rolls that we have used very recently for other jobs, but now all of the sudden i am getting these (random) spots, everything points to contaminated media but 2+2 is not equaling 4 if you know what i mean. none of the media's are at the begining or end of the roll they are all about midway.. i even tried to wipe a section of the media with alcohol and let it dry before printing and still get the same results... this makes no sense... same profiles as before on all media.....i will find the answer to this and will post back unless someone can help me on this...

thanks guys,
Jason

jonesdesign

Question:

Are the rollers on the media carriage dirty?

the rollers are clean, but also the (white spots) are between rollers and random like someone put paint on a toothbrush and flicked it on the media.

im thinking its the belt that drives the carriage back and forth, i think that its picking up some contamination from somewhere and dropping it as its passed back and forth......back to doing diagnostics......

thanks,

TresL

I just had a roll of Oracal 210G that had white spots in it.
Every 14" or so.
Couldn't see it until you put the lam on the print.

White spots can be caused by over-inking the media. This is often called fish-eyes. If the white spots show up in darker colors and not lighter tones, that would almost certainly be your problem. The solution is to use another media profile with lower ink limits, or to create your own (best solution).

Bob

petepaz

is the temp set correct i had a problem like that once and it was because i lowered my heater print and dryer temp so i could cut some polycarbonate lam on some vinyl
(if the temp is too hot it bubbles
anyway i forgot to turn it back up and the vinyl was not absorbing the ink and it appered to be white spots, there was not enough heat to open the pores of the vinyl
that's all i can think of

Tovis

I get that problem after I tried cleaning it with alcohol to get dust off. Is your shop humid or is it due to cleaning it with alcohol?