• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who can squeeze me in?

Fitch

This is not a bull$hit post so only experienced, honest, and straight up and down need reply.

After 16 yrs in the sign game I still love it. Still have a passion for it.
Still have sooooooo much to learn and to give - even pass on.

Eight yrs ago I met my beautiful wife ( from the USA ) online. Things are great although with only one parent and time passing.... she is getting homesick - very homesick for friends and family - which is to be expected as one matures, and looks at life differently. We are currently in Australia, but are looking at spending at least SOME time in the US. This period is expected to be min 5 yrs,

Check out the websites:

www.coloradosigns.com.au

www.sydneysignworks.com.au

Now.... obviously... and hopefully one can see that there is experience, a degree of "sign integrity" in the work. This work may or may not fit into your locale, Some areas demand better and higher quality signage than others. Some areas do not have the $$$. Life is funny that way.

Who knows where my "style" fits?

Rather than being a competitor to somebody's business, I have always been one to charge for the job rather than by the hour. I see an intrinsic value in signage. This the client pays for. Simple.

So if someone thinks I would be "cutting their grass" - forget it.

I take the same approach as Diaz, Sawatszky, Durnford, Cieslowski, et all.

Passion, quality and product comes with a price. That price could very well assist the "local guys" by raising the bar and also the price. Digital medium is not my forte' nor will it ever will be. Wraps - forgive me Lord for I have done none. Nor will I ever. Each to their own skills and passion.

In order to "save" (very loosely used) my marriage - but also to do what men ( in my belief ) truly are supposed to do - look after their soul mate - I am seeking for a peaceful, harmonious, prosperous, straight up and down place in the US that we could consider settling down to. Large - forget it... medium / smalll ideal.

My wifes Mom resides in Colorado - but are open. Happy wife - happy life.

There must be some fantastic places out there in the US of A that have open hearts and open minds.

Places where signage carries a respect and an outcome for the investment - not a simple price tag.... and the lowest at that.

Who can squeeze me in?

Anyone?

Tell me about you, your town , your life, your income, your happiness.

Cheers - G

SignaramaFL

not too sure if your looking to 'team' up with someone. But like Craig said, anywhere is a great place... its really what you can make of it. If you think your too expensive for a place you either have no faith in those around there, or know that you are too expensive. Its surprising how once you get your name out there, even if you are a tad more expensive "people will pay for the customer service". But if your looking for the hustle and bustle of the USA life, look towards a bigger city. But that in there does come with the price of the mom and pop shops that have been there for 10, 15, 20 years +. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps :)

Locals Find!

Avoid Cape Coral FL. Our market has too much competition. Signs are not viewed as art by our population and we are still are ranked one of the highest places in the world for foreclosures. From what I see on here everywhere else in the country is doing better than my area.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You asked for honest.

Based upon your websites, you shouldn't have a problem fitting in anywhere.
Based upon some of your posts, you will probalby do better opening your own shop.

Fitch, you have a lot to offer, but in reality, no one is going to be able to afford someone with your skill level and short sights. You've probably been on your own too long now and if someone sees you coming and knows you only want to spend a few years, why would they consider paying your wages ??

Hopefully, you have some spare change and can loaf for a few weeks or months close by your wife's family. In that time, try to set up a small part-time business and see if it turns into something. Instead of trying to work for one single shop..... sell your skills to all of them in a 100 mile radius and I'll bet you'll be busier than a one-armed paper hanger.

Good Luck and :Welcome: to the USA

smdgrfx

I know you said medium/small, but a larger city like Houston, TX has many advantages. There are larger shops that do cater to more creative/profitable signage. The smaller shops are the ones hashing out the price wars and there are smaller shops (like mine) not playing price wars and selling the service, not the product. There is a lot of competition, but there is a lot of work for everyone. I would almost say that you should just narrow down your choices, take a visit to those cities and schedule some interviews/appointments with some sign shops/companies. Either way, it's going to take a somewhat "leap of faith" if you will. Have enough money to be able to live for 6-12 months without a job. That way if one doesn't work out, you can try another without the pressure of bills looming.

SignManiac

Gino is right. Your mother in law lives in Colorado. No reason why you can't move there unless you dislike her:)
Your style of work is perfect for that area. It fits in with all the upscale resort towns and ski areas. If I can make it doing the same type of work in a rinky dink old persons retirement town, then you won't have a problem. Of course I sell most of my work by the interweb. I wish I needed someone with you skill sets but I've got things covered pretty well and I don't really want to grow my business. That would just add more headaches.

But with that being said, you should be fine anywhere. Only advice is follow the money. That means following the rich. The Hamptons, some areas of New England, certain areas in Florida and the Carolinas. Good luck to you no matter what.

Kottwitz-Graphics

You asked for honest.

Based upon your websites, you shouldn't have a problem fitting in anywhere.
Based upon some of your posts, you will probalby do better opening your own shop.
Good Luck and :Welcome: to the USA

+1.

I have gone to your site many times, and drooled over your work. You, Sir, are a master, and I really doubt that your going to be happy working for anyone else.

Good Luck, and where ever you land, I know your going to do amazing things.

I will say, though, if you end up on the east coast, (around the Maryland area), expect more than a few visitors. I will plan on visiting just to meet you in person.

You know, as I think about it, Brother Zank at Custom Craftsman in Pigeon Forge was looking for help about 6 months ago. I, of course, can't speak for him, but I have seen examples of his work, and I think that the 2 of you teamed up would be unstoppable. Try giving him a call, and if you need the # just PM me, and I'll give it to you.

Fitch

Fantastic comments (also blushes).

Thanks for the honesty and insight.

PLEASE... keep them coming, all will help in the research and (hopefully) an answer.

Or at least closer to one.

Cheers - G

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Stay away from the East Coast.

I just realized..... I'm not prejudiced….I hate everybody……….. and almost everybody feels the same way around here.

phototec

Looks like you have a great business there in Aussie land, and if you were to leave, you would leave a big gap that would be hard to fill..

As others have stated, your level of income will be hard to match if you just start out working for a shop in the US, and if you build your own shop, it will take several years to build a new business up to the level you are at currently.

Because you say the wife only has one parent, the mother-in-law, how about just fly her down and set her up right there where your are now?

You can keep your business running as is, and she could be close by for the wife's benefit. Has your mother-in-law been to Australia, how did she like it?

I think if I was in your situation, it would be something to consider.

Good luck! :thumb:

andy

Where do you think the relative values of the Australian & US Dollar will be in 5 years time?

Liquidating your Australian assets now will allow you to enjoy enhanced spending power in the states given the strength of the AUS$ visa vie the USD$ . If in the next 5 years the AUS$ appreciates (likely) and the USD$ depreciates (also likely) you may find you are trapped in America... unless you're prepared to accept a huge drop in living standards when you move back to Oz.

This problem is something a lot of Brits find out when they've emigrated to Australia and decide they want to come home. You can protect yourself to some degree by taking out a future hedge against currency movements... something I'd be seriously looking at.

The Australian economy is going to be an easier place to run a business... the US & Europe? We're all skint.

skyhigh

you may find you are trapped in America...

When Fitch gets a look at majestic Colorado (or many other places in the states), I doubt he will want to go back. :smile:

I'd like to have you here in my little corner of PA Fitch.....but with the distance from PA to CO......you may as well stay in AU.....sigh.
Like others have said.....Colorado is a great place for your talent. I'd have to agree on setting up on your own......of course, about the time you get fully established, your 5 years will be up.

Another option......4 plane tickets a year.
Bring MIL over for 3 months, then send her and your wife back to the states for a 3 month stay.....then of course, the final ticket to bring wife back :rolleyes:

Craig Sjoquist

Curious ..Question here ?
Going from a island to a mainland, be interesting to see pictures as you travel maybe even blog as you find your place, reviling the how you came to your choice.
Since you have so much freedom, stopping in the middle West, enjoy your adventures.

CentralSigns

Buy a 5th Wheel to live in and travel around for a couple months. Let the place find you. Thats what we did we traveled for 6 months before we found a nice mountain community that wanted us to stay. So we bought a house and started up. The first 2 years is hard though but an very aggressive marketing plan helps.