Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who do you guys buy your Flourescent -> LED conversion bulbs from?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by WhatsYourSign?, Jan 20, 2020.

1. WhatsYourSign?

WhatsYourSign? Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Virginia
    We've been getting them from Glantz but I feel like I've seen some on here talk about some other options but despite my best search efforts, I've not been able to find them.

Any help would be appreciated, whether friendly or snarky!

Thanks guys.

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Glantz's sticks are nice and a pretty quick change out. We've used them for a bunch already.

3. Richard2717

Richard2717 New Member

Mar 18, 2019
    MD
    If you are talking about the Keystone sticks, I am very leery of using them. While I love the concept of getting rid of all the external power supplies and wiring the sockets up for 120 I don't put any faith in the brand.My sales rep at Pioneer (before they got bought out by the people that still have never let me know) convinced me to try the keystone sign ballasts. Big mistake on my part. 100% failure rate and out of the ones I sent back only 1 gave me a store credit that ended up worthless. I pulled the remaining ballasts out of inventory and trashed them. I just laugh at the sales guys when they walk in with the keystone brochures. I use Sloan prism sticks. Never have had a failure with them other than several years back when they had the bad power supply problem. I had 7 ps go bad in a 100' hi rise a couple months after installed and they made it right including the crane bill. I am sure not everyone has had the same outcome, just offering up my experience

We have a wall sign here in town that another company converted to LED. It is roughly 6' tall by 40' long and in less than a year has about 80% failure. I would love to know the brand installed and may get the chance before it is over. The other company seems to be backing away from it. Regardless of the warranty issue I would never make the customer wait while it went thru process. My customer loyalty is worth more to my long run than a short term hit to the pocket

4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Graphic Solutions Group makes some sticks from modules, very reasonably priced. My Reece rep has some new modular product that can take a 2' and 4' and make a 6', and then Amazon unfortunately has had the best price on the MH replacement or "Corn Cob" bulbs.
    I myself never just pop the sticks in the sockets, I've seen way to many signs with a pile of led sticks leaning against the face. I've heard of guys just buying modules and taping them to the lamps, it counts as recycling the fluorescent.
    The real question here, what's everybody doing with the lamps themselves? We paid around $1,500 last month to have 4 boxes or so hauled off.

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Throw them on the neighbor's property. He runs over them with his machinery and grinds them into teeny-tiny pieces and ya can't see them anymore............................. :covereyes:

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I remember being about 14-15 and seeing one of the older, saltier workers at the shop messing around the dumpster. He had set a bunch of lamps in it gently. I watched and wondered what he was doing at this point, as he braced for a shot-put type throw, holding an old magnetic ballast, and in one deft move he tossed it high in the air and took off running. When the ballast hit it was a giant cloud of dust and glass bits. That used to be proper procedure...