• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

who has a GC license

visual800

I would like to branch out and really bid on those big jobs out there BUT Alabama states you must have a GC (gerneral contractors) license to bid on some jobs over $50k.

This is dumb as hell IMO cause you have to take a test that has nothing to do with signs BUT with contracting. $300 to take test. I think architects should take sign tests!

This also proves you money worthy to bid and accept large bids. Didn't know if the tests were hard or what I'm thinking of taking the dive I don't know yet

signswi

Would you rather the government take big risks with taxpayer money on small companies with unstable financials that could collapse under a large contract?

SD&F

I have been doing the same, as far as going after large bids. I have gotten a couple that required bonding. I don't understand the GC requirements. Is this a state job or a government job?

SD&F

I only ask because I am becoming familiar with how they work and thought maybe I could offer assistance.

signswi

$300 is 0.006% of $50,000.......

If you're confident you would be able to handle those big projects doesn't that seem like a small price to pay?

Another great point. If you struggle with $300 why would the government trust you to deliver on $50,000? How can they be sure you can handle the overhead until you're paid?

I think architects should take sign tests!

They do, environmental design is part of most university architecture curriculum.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
It's actually not all that dumb, knowing contacting law is part of your job. If I was handing over 50k to someone I would want them to be skilled craftsmen and good businessmen.... having a license does not always guarantee this, but at least they have been tested on it. there are also experience requirements, insurance and bonding. I would want to make sure the contractors butt is covered in case something goes wrong.

Architects are required to be certified.

Environmental graphic designers are not required.

A contractors license is supposed to be a consumer protection precaution, not just to get state or government work. Look how many flakey sign shops and contractors there are. A license is supposed to make sure the consumer is protected as long as the contractor is.

visual800

the $300 is not what i'm referring to i referring to just taking a damn test that has nothing to do with signs, I think there should be a sign test for sign people

SD&F yes we have dove in and got our bank involved in working on the papers, it is one hell of a headache but Im sure the rewards are good

Circleville Signs

In Ohio this is also required, although not at the state level. It is a county level thing. Some counties require you to have a GC license in order to even file for permits. Franklin County is a perfect example. I haven't filed a permit in franklin county for years. There is a shop that does nothing but installations for other sign shops and they have their GC license just about everywhere. I have them pull all my permits, and either do the installs for me, or they send one of their guys out to be on site while I do an install. Works out well.