• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who is back-cutting on Gerber?

Tim Aucoin

Is anyone else using the back-cutting feature on the Gerber? I had a hands on lesson from Dana Goodale himself while at ISA in April. He taught me the two methods of back-cutting and I must say they work EXTREMELY WELL! They have saved me hours of time trimming and they make the finished product look extremely professional! :thumb::thumb: I especially love the back slit feature (makes them crack'n'peel decals). I'm sure everyone is doing this and I'm just preaching to the choir, but I've just started doing it since ISA and I'm LOVING IT!!! :Big Laugh:Big Laugh

petepaz

didn't know about this. what gerber are you back cutting on and do you mean you are doing your kiss cut of the label and then you are cutting through the liner for individual pieces?

Tim Aucoin

Can I do this on a 4b?

Forgive my ignorance... what's a 4b?

Here is a link to a PDf on it!

Here is a video on simplest

Here is an other video

The Back Cut Dialogue Box in Omega 4 is definitely the way to go. It makes this an extremely simple process. I went and purchased a second blade holder for my enVision 375 so I don't have to change the depth every time. One is dedicated to front cutting and the other to back-cutting. The only tricky part was getting the pressure just right for back cutting. Once that is figured out, it's simple.

I've made a video of the process that I need to finish editing and I'll post it here once it's complete. :thumb:

Tim Aucoin

didn't know about this. what gerber are you back cutting on and do you mean you are doing your kiss cut of the label and then you are cutting through the liner for individual pieces?

Yes... it's a two step process. Do the regular front kiss-cut, then turn it over and to the back cut through the liner as well as the split line (for a crack'n'peel decal) if it is required!

Tim Aucoin

Tim I also bought a second knife holder!

It's very handy to have, isn't it?! It was a no brainer for me, especially since I discovered that I can purchase all of my Gerber parts AND supplies from GMS at less than HALF PRICE over what I was paying my local supplier. That was a great discovery for me! :clapping:

Ditchmiester

Backslit

Have you had any issues with the back-slit for crack n peel vinyl decals not lining up in the center of the part? primarily do squares and rectangles and it always seems that it is pushed to far to the right on my envision 375 cutter. Thanks,

Andrew

Tony Teveris

The back-cutting is really taylored for sprocketed cutters because for the need to flip the job over there are no targets to 'square" the job up. Also, the software controls the knife pressure via cutter commands. As for the IVB it may work but you would manually have to adjust the weights on the knife.

We would try it but believe it or not you can not find a IVB, Sprint anywhere in the company - sad but true.

Malkin

We would try it but believe it or not you can not find a IVB, Sprint anywhere in the company - sad but true.

:Oops::Big Laugh

Some time I'll have to see if we can do it on our HS15plus.
Looks interesting, though we don't get much call for that.