• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who knows how to fix "destroyed" print heads?

ibikestickers

Hey all,

I'm new to digital printing. In fact, I haven't really started. Been window tinting for 16+ years, and doing cut vinyl for 7 or 8.
I just bought a Mutoh Falcon II outdoor 64" on ebay and there are definite nozzle problems, as disclosed by the seller. I've been trying to do research while I wait for my printer to arrive from California so that I know what I'll need to get the machine going. There are the printhead doctor and the printhead911 products/services, but not much about them is discussed here on this forum.

Some people claim that just about any printhead can be recovered with the right chemicals and methods, and the above mentioned companies claim that their products are special and can do recoveries that you can't do without their stuff.
On the other hand, maybe the standard cleaning fluids that are made for regular printer maintenance are capable of doing anything needed.
Ok, so, any input? who here has recovered print heads that would've been considered destroyed? is it true that people save thousands of dollars fixing clogged printheads? Or, is clogged done?
Thanks for any help!

smdgrfx

Easier to replace and start with fresh heads. Cleaning them can be frustrating and time consuming. The last time I had a problem, I just replaced and was so much happier. Good luck!!

ibikestickers

Yes, that's why I'd like to be able to clean them! I paid 2500 for the printer so I think I can justify spending more money on it but I'm a DIYer and hate spending unnecessary money (of course, I'm not unique in that regard)
Also, I've read that if you don't know how to clean clogged print heads, you'll end up replacing them more often because they eventually clog over time regardless of how well you maintain your printer.
Of course, that may just be the propaganda of the companies that sell the cleaning systems.

take em out
cover the electronics with tape
let the business ends sit in cleaning solution overnight in a bowl of some kind
then using a syringe try to force -clean- cleaning fluid through them.
you should be able to see them jetting not dripping
put them back in and request a service manual from someone on this forum

jbennett

take em out
using a syringe try to force -clean- cleaning fluid through them.
you should be able to see them jetting not dripping
put them back in and request a service manual from someone on this forum

I have always heard to never force cleaning fluid through a head, especially the Epsons. (I have a DX5 with missing black nozzles); however, I am now commonly seeing folks saying that they are doing this. Does it work, or tear up more heads than you will ever fix? I'm sure if someone was going to attempt it that they'd need to be ready to buy a new head just in case. Thoughts?

jbennett

FatCat

I have always heard to never force cleaning fluid through a head, especially the Epsons. (I have a DX5 with missing black nozzles); however, I am now commonly seeing folks saying that they are doing this. Does it work, or tear up more heads than you will ever fix? I'm sure if someone was going to attempt it that they'd need to be ready to buy a new head just in case. Thoughts?

jbennett

Saved the DX5 head on my (new to me) 1604 by ultimately doing this and repeated head soaks. I filled a clean syringe with solvent and attached a line between it's nozzle and the nozzle on the manifold. "Gently" is the key word here, just barely enough pressure to make it trickle. On a DX5 you won't get a steady stream like you would on a Dx4 with bigger nozzles. It's basically going to pool and drip from the bottom of the head.

ibikestickers

I've tried flushing one dx4 printhead, and I'm wondering how straight the streams should be relative to one another? I'm still working on cleaning it more thoroughly but an initial cleaning seems to have all the nozzles squirting, but with a little bit of inconsistency in the angle, particularly past 1/4 inch away from the head and beyond.

ruckusman

If you force the cleaning fluid through the DX4 heads with too much pressure there is a risk of delaminatiing the partition betwen both sides.

How do I know...yep you guessed it, done it myself

Better to draw the liquid through from a small reservior below, at least at first, that way at lest some nozzles will be clear enough to alleviate internal pressure when pushing cleaning fluid through.

Using enough pressure to get a straight stream like that shown in the printhead doctor videos on youtube is too much and may delaminate the partition

peace out

Last edited: