• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who Likes Growing... Veggies?

ucmj22

I am an amateur home grower at best, but I love it. had my first garden last year and learned a bunch, mostly that the most dangerous enemy to my garden is my own dog. This year I am branching out a little from my crop of radishes lettuce and tomatoes last year. with my limited space I decided I like tomatoes too much to give any space to radishes and lettuce this year. I have 11 tomato plants of the varieties; yellow pear, roma, Rutger, super beefsteak and orange cherry. I also wanted to try some peppers, So I have; sweet, ancho, jalepeno, serano, bhut jolokia, trinidad scorpion Buch-T, and trinidad maruga. in between the tomatoes I planted varieties of basil, and in between the peppers I put cilantro. outside of the raised bed along the fence line i put in a raspberry bush and a concord grape vine. Finally, and I am reeeeeeeaaaly late on this one, I got my cascade hops in the dirt. I'll have to really baby them for a while with it being so hot, and the local dirt is so poor, but we'll see. I cant wait to start harvesting!!!!!!
:toasting:

Mosh

I grow around 65,000 bus. of soybeans a year, does that count?

I do grow a bunch of stuff in my garden too. I fertilize it with Eufora,
Gainfill 2 and some Nitrogen...yeah works great but good luck getting it at the
home center. My tomato plants last year where 12' tall. I will post pics when this
years get up there, I have a 16' tall trellace made trying to break my old record.

Tigertron

Sounds like fun. I also grow tomatoes , a pepper called aji, basil, cucumbers, parsley and Swiss chard. Maybe others I can't recall. Oh yeah two types of onions. And zucchini.

My wife gets to choose what goes into the garden because she is the chef. Nothing better than home grown veggies. Tomatoes especially. The one you grow could never be sold at supermarkets because they would never survive the shipping.

You may want to rethink the raspberry bush. I planted on of those at a house I was renting and ended up regretting it. The rasberries were fine but once the bush was established it got out of control. I had raspberry sprouting up 20-30' away from where I planted the bush. I just couldn't stop it and it became very invasive. Even my neighbors complained. I ended up moving to my own house and expect it is someone else's problem now.

ucmj22

I grow around 65,000 bus. of soybeans a year, does that count?

I do grow a bunch of stuff in my garden too. I fertilize it with Eufora,
Gainfill 2 and some Nitrogen...yeah works great but good luck getting it at the
home center. My tomato plants last year where 12' tall. I will post pics when this
years get up there, I have a 16' tall trellace made trying to break my old record.

Nice! I thought mine were good at 8' last year, but you're in the pro division, I'm definitely still in the amateur bracket. I have absolutely terrible clay soil so I dumped a bunch of money in to MG dirt for the raise bed since I don't have enough compost yet.

Mosh

The key is to prune the tomato like a tree, less bush more up. Lots of water.
My garden is less than 1/2 ancre but I put enough fertilizer on to do 15 acres of my bean feild. You have to be careful doing that, you can "burn" plants if you don't do it at the right times. BTW, if I had to buy it just for a garden it would be over $1,000, but I count it in my farm fert. Fert and spray on a farm is around $200 an acre per year depending on what I need.

ucmj22

You may want to rethink the raspberry bush. I planted on of those at a house I was renting and ended up regretting it. The rasberries were fine but once the bush was established it got out of control. I had raspberry sprouting up 20-30' away from where I planted the bush. I just couldn't stop it and it became very invasive. Even my neighbors complained. I ended up moving to my own house and expect it is someone else's problem now.

I love raspberries and had them growing up as a kid, so I wouldn't be opposed to them popping up wherever they want , but I think they will have a hard time spreading between the rocky clay soil, and my mowing.

Mosh

Put them is a corner somewhere, they grow like weeds and are hard to kill. The big problem is the spread like crazy, so your mowing would keep them in check. They can grow in poor and rock soil, at least they do here in iowa.

ucmj22

The key is to prune the tomato like a tree, less bush more up. Lots of water.
My garden is less than 1/2 ancre but I put enough fertilizer on to do 15 acres of my bean feild. You have to be careful doing that, you can "burn" plants if you don't do it at the right times. BTW, if I had to buy it just for a garden it would be over $1,000, but I count it in my farm fert. Fert and spray on a farm is around $200 an acre per year depending on what I need.

That's crazy! Whenever I transplant from the potting soil to the garden soil the bottom branches on the tomato plants get splotchy, and I figured it was probably a nitrogen burn, but it goes away after a week or two of climatizing. Next year hopefully I'll have enough compost that I won't new to buy miracle grow soil.

I was afraid to trim the tomatoes last year, so they got pretty crazy. I was reading about stressing your tomatoes by limiting water to get better flavor. Some Sicilian growers apparently use salt water to stress them.

Mosh

i was in Malta and they grow them on 8' sticks, the prune them all the way up and the fruit only grows at 5' and up and hang down. Don't know about salt water. BTW, the lots of water is not when fruit is on or that will "bust" the tomatos open.

Raulrdz

Not much of a Veggie grower, but I do have one grapefruit tree, two lime trees, a peach tree and several varieties of mint. Fighting tiny white moths, though. The mint and limes are for my Mojitos.

Mosh

There is a guy in town that grew watermelons on the roof of his old shed. Looked cool, dangerous. I would not want a melon falling on my head.

i used to grow watermelons and pumkin when I had a farm next to the river in the sandy soil, my kids sold lots of melons.

On the local college radio station there are adds for "indor farming" products. I laugh every time I hear it, we all know what they are growing. I kill SO MANY pot plants every year in our waterways with Liberty (round-up's commercial use big brother that will kill everything)

Wiggum PI

Got 2 good crops of tomatoes, basil, coriander, and lemongrass before my dogs started "talking" to the neighbours dog right where the vege garden was...grrr.
Might get around to putting a decent frame around it one day...
Also had a bit of "indoor" experience earlier in life lol

ucmj22

Got 2 good crops of tomatoes, basil, coriander, and lemongrass before my dogs started "talking" to the neighbours dog right where the vege garden was...grrr.
Might get around to putting a decent frame around it one day...
Also had a bit of "indoor" experience earlier in life lol

My dog likes to dig. I didn't know this prior to building my garden. I think with the ground being so hard here, it's actually starting to crack like the desert, she couldn't do much digging. But I have a 2' raised bed filled with primo dirt, and she loves to jump in there and dig as much of it out as possible. Cost me about 75 bones for more MG soil to fill it back up, so I made a chicken wire fence this year

Wiggum PI

My dog likes to dig. I didn't know this prior to building my garden. I think with the ground being so hard here, it's actually starting to crack like the desert, she couldn't do much digging. But I have a 2' raised bed filled with primo dirt, and she loves to jump in there and dig as much of it out as possible. Cost me about 75 bones for more MG soil to fill it back up, so I made a chicken wire fence this year

lol yeah mine too, i made a dodgy frame with star pickets and chicken wire, only to discover my dogs seem to be able to jump 4 foot high from a standing start...fkrs.