• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who said old bikes were boring...............

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's a 1930 Henderson that was customized before WW2 by a fellow called O. Ray Courtney and fitted with 'streamliner' bodywork.

1930 henderson .jpg
1930 henderson-2.jpg

One night O. Ray Courtney worked until two a.m. And drove home discouraged. He was trying to design a better motorcycle. He wanted one with the seat forward, with better cooling, better springing and a more beautiful body Discarded sketches littered the floor of his shop. That night in a dream he saw a streamlined beauty skim across a flowered field. Too excited to report for work the next day, he hastily put his dream on paper - and he is riding that dream cycle now through the streets of Pontiac, Mich.

It's all the more unusual because the mechanicals are hidden: even at the height of the Art Deco movement, most motorcycles were a triumph of form over function, with exposed cooling fins, brake drums and suspension springs.

The bike is now owned by collector Frank Westfall of Syracuse.

Marlene

that is really cool looking. I wonder how well it worked without the air being able to cool the engine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
1930 henderson-3.jpg

Henderson was a Chicago brand and one of the American 'Big Three' (with Harley-Davidson and Indian) until the onset of the Great Depression. It went bust in 1931.

But you can see the influence of the 'streamliner' style on another contemporary North American brand : Victory.

If there's a spiritual successor to this Henderson custom, it's the Victory Vision Tour, a gargantuan cruiser with completely enclosed bodywork and not a leather tassel or saddlebag in sight.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
By the way.... the narrative isn't mine. It's all from an e-mail from someone. The facts belong to I believe this fellow: Chris Hunter of motorcyle design website - Bike EXIF.

And yes.... the word 'motorcyle' is spelled that way.... don't ask me why :rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't why Gino your pictures don't show up been a bunch the last few post grrr others pictures show up but not yours.

Cause I don't like you.

:ROFLMAO: No, I like you... really. There's others here that have the same problem as you. This actually came up in a thread a short time ago and either Fred or Stacy explained to them how to fix it and it works fine now for them and they can see all the garbage I post. Some people actually say they're sorry they did it.......... :covereyes:

Maybe a PM to Fred or Stacy can help you.

AUTO-FX

A flying merkel or an old indian would be cool-that's what i'd ride, too.
That thing with all the body work on it, if it got a scratch on it I'd be freakin out....

artsnletters

Henderson was a Chicago brand and one of the American 'Big Three' (with Harley-Davidson and Indian) until the onset of the Great Depression. It went bust in 1931.

But you can see the influence of the 'streamliner' style on another contemporary North American brand : Victory.

If there's a spiritual successor to this Henderson custom, it's the Victory Vision Tour, a gargantuan cruiser with completely enclosed bodywork and not a leather tassel or saddlebag in sight.
Technically, Excelsior AND Henderson were owned by Ignaz Schwinn (yes that Schwinn) and the company Arnold, Schwinn and co.If you look real close on some Excelsior and Henderson bikes of that era you can see the familiar round Schwinn quality decal, not unlike what you may have found on a Chicago era Sting-Ray! After suffering losses of friends/colleagues and racers on motorcycles and seeing the impending great depression he supposedly had a meeting and said, "Today we stop building motorcycles". If i'm not mistaken, some of Hendersons' designs ended up being produced by Indian. That bike you posted is an absolutely beautiful example of old style craftsmanship.
Thanks for posting that. Killer find.
Tim