• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whole House Humidifier

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a whole house humidifier, my son has terrible asthma so we MUST keep the humidity level in the house at about 30% and to be honest, I'm getting tired of filling humidifiers in every room.

Any brands I should look for, any I should avoid?

Thanks!

Marlene

is there a website or forum for parents of children with asthma? if so, that might be a good resource for info as you can get some feed back from other parents on what brands are good. you might also want to contact some of the bigger companies like Honeywell to see what they have to say. are you looking for one that is installed into your furnace or one of those big floor models that can do a whole house?

what is your heat/air source? if you have a central HAVC either electric, gas, oil they make a duct work humidifier that you have put in the outgoing air duct that has a setup on it similar to your toilet bowl water control.
heres one example.
http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping.com/desert-spring-furnace-humidifiers.html

it's central forced air, That's the kind I'm looking for. Any suggestions on what one to get? About 2000 square foot home.

Thanks everyone!

OldPaint

unless your gona install it i would contact a reputable HVAC company in your area and get them to figure out the best one for you.

LittleSnakey

I have an Aprilaire on my forced air system. It works great there is a humidity setting knob at the furnace. The only problem I had with mine is the installer used one of those clamp-on water valves that pokes a hole in the copper pipe. After one year the valve failed and I replaced with a tee and a real shut-off valve.

Mosh

Our house is sealed so tight and we have a high e-furnace. Our humidity is 60% in the winter. We had to install a air intake to get it down to 40%.

OldPaint

i got the opposite problem in my shop..........i have DE-HUMIDIFIER running in there, need to puta hose on it, so i dont have to empty that sucker EVERYDAY))))))))))))))))))

LittleSnakey

I didn't think of this till last night, but cleaning the duct work will probably help your kids asthma. My house is over 60 years old and when they cleaned the ducts out there was almost 2 kitchen sized bags of dirt. After that my allergy symptoms went away.

I didn't think of this till last night, but cleaning the duct work will probably help your kids asthma. My house is over 60 years old and when they cleaned the ducts out there was almost 2 kitchen sized bags of dirt. After that my allergy symptoms went away.

Thanks for the suggestion, we get that done every year.