• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wholesale printing

Letterbox Mike

no they're not..

No, we're not.

We have a limited retail presence in and around the Dayton, OH area, that's it, and at that 85% of our local work is "wholesale" to agencies and other sign shops. We are a small shop and we do not have (nor do we want to have) a national retail reach.

royster13

The point I am trying to make is that prices show up in ads and in signatures and are visible to folks who happen on to this site via a search engine.....

10sacer

Just because the pricing shows up here doesn't mean that everyone who views this site gets that price. Most guys that offer wholesale services require you to send in a resale certificate or some proof that you are actually in the print business.

Letterbox Mike

The point I am trying to make is that prices show up in ads and in signatures and are visible to folks who happen on to this site via a search engine.....

Are you referring to mine specifically or all merchant ads and signatures? If I'm breaking a rule I'll gladly change it, I didn't know MMs weren't allowed to do that. Fred?

Letterbox Mike

Just because the pricing shows up here doesn't mean that everyone who views this site gets that price. Most guys that offer wholesale services require you to send in a resale certificate or some proof that you are actually in the print business.

This is correct, for the record. Usually people from S101 contact me via PM here, it's normally fairly easy to tell who's a legitimate sign shop and who's a retail customer pretending to be one. We do our homework as best we can to make sure we don't give wholesale pricing to those who shouldn't get it.

royster13

Earlier in this thread there was part of a post removed because it showed pricing.....And then there were a couple more comments about pricing being visible to the outside world.....

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Are you referring to mine specifically or all merchant ads and signatures? If I'm breaking a rule I'll gladly change it, I didn't know MMs weren't allowed to do that. Fred?

There is no rule against it. It is, however, the preference of some members that wholesale pricing not be displayed in open forums. So it's your call.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Earlier in this thread there was part of a post removed because it showed pricing.....And then there were a couple more comments about pricing being visible to the outside world.....

The removal of that was done by the OP. While it is agreed that displaying of prices, costs etc. is often not in the best interests of some, it is not against our rules.

10sacer

Its not that its good or bad - I find it convenient to see a special pop up when I sign into the forum or am in a thread like this.

But I surmise somewhere down the line there will be a peeved shop owner somewhere in the US who runs across a customer who demands $3.50 a square foot for wrap printing because the customer saw it in a place like this and the customer wants that price because he "saw it on the internet". If the shop owner says "no", the customer can keep going to every shop he knows until he finds the desperate one who will do it for him and it will all start because the customer has an expected pricing ceiling he is willing to pay because he has seen it advertised that way.

Letterbox Mike

i'm curious why other people care why your prices are displayed?

Honestly I am too. I've always wondered why talking about pricing in the open is so frowned upon here. I fully understand that can be seen by anybody who knows how to use Google, but I've always believed that if your customers are truly good customers they won't use the knowledge that you are in business to make a profit against you (and if they try to do that you probably don't want them as customers...). And any good wholesale member should have the decency and business sense not to sell his or her product to the general public at discounted wholesale rates.

I don't really get it, personally as a paying merchant member here it does me a lot more good to advertise certain sales or promotions such as this out in the open, that's why I pay to be a merchant member. Only posting those prices in the premium pricing section significantly limits who sees my advertisement. I don't make my entire price structure available for all to see but once in a while a special promotion on a good product at an excellent price like this needs to be advertised to all of the members on this site, paid premium members or otherwise.

That said, I also understand there are people who don't want their clients to know how much something costs them and I respect that, and I certainly don't want to alienate them and risk losing their business, so I will remove the pricing from my signature as soon as I have the chance...

royster13

If you are the type that knocks on doors to get work, what others sell for is not too relevant.....I offer convenience by going to my clients and that adds value to the clients order and gets a higher price.....However, if you are the type that waits for shoppers to call you, price is often a major part of the equation...

Now having said that, I vary my pricing depending on how the client came to me....If they found me, it seems I have to quote lower to get those types of orders....