• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who's putting up the Sign?

showcase 66

way to hold your ground! No reason you should put your neck on the line because the guy wants to save a hundred bucks.

What if you build the sign as a self-standing A-frame with sandbags/stakes? Need a permit for that?

A Frames are not allowed in his area of town. He had a 3' tall one originally and was warned twice about it and then finally cited and fined for it.

Marlene

He got all pissed off saying he does this all the time with other places not just a sign

what an a$$hole! he may be a crook, but he has no right to ask you to be one too

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You need approval from the government to begin production? Did I read that right?

If you're responsible for the whole process up to installation, I can see why you'd wanna get approval before starting... but if you've been ordered to make something, is it your responsibility to check if they guy has a permit for what he's ordering? It's not like he's ordering a box of C4 or something...

Just saying... I've never heard of anything like that before... I feel for you guys - that must make this type of work very difficult at times. I don't work with structural stuff so I don't know - forgive my ignorance, it just seems really odd though.

If you're referring to my post, it's not really hard to do. Once you get the hang of it, you know what most of the surrounding municipalities will allow or not.

If someone comes in and asks for an 8' x 10' sign to be mounted on two 4" x 4" x 12' posts and he wants to install it.... I say 'Great' !! Knock yourself out. However, it's my job.... and any other sign company's responsibility to ask.... where is this going and then to inform them of the many permits or 800 dig calls they need to make before doing this on their own.

Since I'm a professional, I feel it's my job to educate someone if I know they're wrong. They don't have to listen to me.... or even do as I say, but at least I told them. Now, if I just make any old sign knowing full well it won't meet code due to size, too close to road set-backs or too high illumination or whatever other reasons, then I'm not being a good company.

Many of us in this industry need to change our mindset. We are sign companies, not some back-alley schmuck-fest sign shop. We're respectable fully tax-paying companies and need to act the part in the eye of the community. Telling someone you can make a sign with no regards for following rules and then saying... well, that was up to them.... is like the local ambulance crew taking you to the hospital and not handing the important stats over to the doctor on staff. :covereyes:

Edserv

You can't win with installs. Even if you refer someone, the client may try to come back on you (out of anger.) All we've managed to do is try to explain (verbally and IN WRITING) that we don't do installs, but .... "here are some contractors you may wish to use.." Make sure they sign an additional agreement (invoice/terms) with the installer. and that's it.
We don't want to get into the installation/contracting business, even though this is a great opportunity for many companies.

visual800

why are you pulling permits on 2 post signage? I wouldnt waste my time down at the city over that. Once sign leaves your premises it's none of your concern whats happens to it

Custom_Grafx

If you're referring to my post, it's not really hard to do. Once you get the hang of it, you know what most of the surrounding municipalities will allow or not.

If someone comes in and asks for an 8' x 10' sign to be mounted on two 4" x 4" x 12' posts and he wants to install it.... I say 'Great' !! Knock yourself out. However, it's my job.... and any other sign company's responsibility to ask.... where is this going and then to inform them of the many permits or 800 dig calls they need to make before doing this on their own.

Since I'm a professional, I feel it's my job to educate someone if I know they're wrong. They don't have to listen to me.... or even do as I say, but at least I told them. Now, if I just make any old sign knowing full well it won't meet code due to size, too close to road set-backs or too high illumination or whatever other reasons, then I'm not being a good company.

Many of us in this industry need to change our mindset. We are sign companies, not some back-alley schmuck-fest sign shop. We're respectable fully tax-paying companies and need to act the part in the eye of the community. Telling someone you can make a sign with no regards for following rules and then saying... well, that was up to them.... is like the local ambulance crew taking you to the hospital and not handing the important stats over to the doctor on staff. :covereyes:

Thanks Gino. I agree about educating the customer (especially when you feel they may not be fully aware), and it's a very professional attitude to have in any line of work.

Does that mean it's still your responsibility though if they take your advice or not? I mean you can tell him he needs a permit, but can you make him get one? Have you ever told a customer that you won't make something unless he shows the permit first? Is that how it works?

Pat Whatley

So you lost the job because you decided you wanted to enforce permits for the city? That's absolutely ridiculous. I can't understand why you didn't just make the sign, hand it to him, deposit the check and go on with life.

signage

So you lost the job because you decided you wanted to enforce permits for the city? That's absolutely ridiculous. I can't understand why you didn't just make the sign, hand it to him, deposit the check and go on with life.

I have to agree with Pat on this. Is the auto dealer ship responsible if the car they sold you is used in a robbery? Some of you worry too much about the wrong things.