• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who's using a Summa with OPOS??

cdiesel

We finally setup our D160, and I'm able to print/cut with it. My question is, do I have to go into the cutter controller everytime I need to cut and set the mark sizes & spacing? What's the best way to handle this? Do you guys create a template file with marks already set and use that?

cdiesel

Also, we're using Winplot right now, but also have Cocut. Any input as to which is better and why would be appreciated too!

Letterbox Mike

What RIP are you printing with? Most Rips should (I thought anyway) automatically place/print the registration marks and send that data to the plotter when it's time to contour cut. For example (using our setup, JV3, Onyx 7.1, S160D):

1. Set up your file with a contour cut path specified (make the cut line an independent stroke named CutContour as a spot color)

2. Open and RIP as normal, being sure you use a Cutcontour quickset or your settings are set to recognize that spot color-assigned stroke as a cut-only element

3. Print as normal, Onyx automatically places the registration squares where needed, assigns an individual job number/barcode to the job and creates a CutContour file placed in a special predetermined folder (created when the program is installed)

4. Print is loaded in plotter, Onyx Cut Server is opened (Cut Server is part of Postershop but it's a seperate program that does nothing but contour cut printed jobs), and the job is opened by entering the barcode number printed on the job.

5. Upon entering the barcode number, your file appears, and you click cut now, The cut job is sent to the plotter, the plotter tells you place the knife head over the first mark, you do that, hit enter, and it reads ever mark, then cuts dead-on accurately.

Ever RIP I've ever used worked basically the same to one extent or another. If you're having to manually size and place registration marks at the design stage, create a second file from your design file that will be the cut file, figure out how to get the plotter to read/register those marks and cut that seperate file, I'd honestly suggest you upgrade your software. I remember way back in the day when we had a SummaChrome (made by Westcomp, before they were Summa, this was the original original Summa thermal transfer printer, probably 8-10 years ago) this is how we had to print and cut jobs, by creating two seperate files, manually placing reg marks and hoping to god it worked right. Technology has changed, it'll do all that for you now, don't even try to do it yourself, it's so inaccurate and inefficient you'll recover the cost of upgrading in time saved in short order.

cdiesel

Thanks guys! I'm off to read that tutorial and see if I can streamline things a bit. I've been SERIOUSLY looking at Onyx for awhile now. We're currently running VersaWorks, Cocut Pro & Winplot. From what I've seen, I love Postershop. Tons of great features, but we're trying not to spend too much money right now, so it'll have to wait awhile longer. :/