• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why asking for spot white?

jhardy

Im using a pc600 with white vinyl. Why does it ask for spot white when trying to print? How do I print white without using spot white or any color over a background? Sounds confusing I know but I dont know how to explain it.

When printing to a regular computer printer like a deskjet you get white but without actually printing any ink. This leads to another question. Why does this PC600 not print as it looks on the screen (colors)? My HP deskjet does. I should have just stuck with cutting vinyl.

4R Graphics

Well I know nothing about the PC600 as I use a JV3 however if you give a little more info about your setup perhaps I or someone else can help for starters what rip are you using? I noticed in your profile it says flexi are you using flexi? Ok I dont know anything about thermal printers but I do know that on my JV3 I had to do alot of adjusting of the ink levels to get it to print the right colors everything was super dark at first ( based on searches I have found that its common for flexi to put down a lot of ink so you have to adjust the ink levels). As for the spot white do you have use spot colors enabled in flexi? there is a lot to printing you will need to start reading do a lot of searches here and then ask more questions. You can do it just be patient its a learning curve like photoshop but once you figure it all out your in there.

Good Luck

iSign

Sorry to say this, but in my honest (& somewhat educated) opinion, if you knew everything there is to know about the PC600 already, and could run it in your sleep.... AND if you were independently wealthy & only made signs for fun... there would STILL be almost NO reason that you could come up with to justify still using a PC600.

it is a vastly more expensive printer to run then any other, & offering dramatically inferior print quality... and the thought that you would still need to learn to use it tells me you should seriously consider spending the learning time you would have spent on finding a buyer to get a few bucks out of selling it, instead of keeping it.

You could outsource wholesale printing of 10 times better quality, for less then your material cost alone with that dinosaur, not to mention your labor costs to run it (& god forbid learn it too)

...but, that said, thermal printers show their best ability on spot color printing, NOT cmyk printing. If you are printing spot color jobs, you need to set up your files to only define exact contours as they should display, and to reveal knockouts to a contour where white shows through. In other words you should never assign anything with a white color if you don't want to print white.

AUTO-FX

I'm with Isign- ditch that thing, you are wasting valuable time.
I know, I had a few when they were new. Sell it on Ebay or something. Outsource. Run. Run away...
Your machine is asking for white because you have designated a portion of the design "spot white". If a portion of your design is to be white, dont designate any color at all to that portion. And in your designs, attempt to stick with spot colors alltogether. Use those ribbons from zeronine.Stick with simple designs. Do not attempt to print gradients or photographs. If you do, lower your DPI output.
But, if you have any sense - run!