• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why discuss price AFTER the signs are paid for?

Pat Whatley

It happened again this morning. Two weeks ago I got called about doing a sign, nothing elaborate, just a simple 4x8 to mark a warehouse entrance. Did a couple of layouts, showed them material samples, got my deposit check and went to work.

Called them yesterday afternoon to schedule the installation this morning. Went by, installed the sign, everyone looked at it and liked it.

Went to the office to get the balance paid, they handed me the check then said "Why was that sign so much? We didn't pay anything close to that from the other place." I just told him there was a lot of time, material, and talent involved plus the installation and that the price I quoted him BEFORE I did the work was correct. He told me that next time they'd have to compare my pricing with some other shops, I told him to make sure he compared the materials, service, and design while he was at it and he'd find I was still his best deal.

I'll never hear from him again.

I'm just curious, though, I get this about once a month....they agree on price, they pay a 50% deposit, they get their sign, then they bitch about price....but always while they're paying for it.

Am I the only one that gets this?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Believe me, you're not alone by any stretch of the imagination.

On the other hand, I've had far more people thank me for the work we did and the great prices.

I think most people just hate parting with their money.

Earlier this week, I did 180 decals of one size, 180 of another size, 75 of another size and 120 of a last size. All one color on white. Gave them a quote. It was Okayed, they sent me my PO# and we gave them the invoice. To me, I thought it looked like a lot of money for the little stacks of decals he got, but he thanked me for the great service and prices. To think I was contemplating lowering it a little.

Had another guy end of last week complain a little about the price of 100 Cor-X sign double sided. He said, well if it has to be it has to be, but I'm gonna shop around some more. This past Wednesday [only days after his last order] he ordered 300 more.... and still complained. I told him he was full of crap and then said... you know you can't get the service and price for this top quality anywhere else within 100 miles. He smiled and said, I know.... I just hafta ask.

dwt

Come on pat. All you did was push a button and screw it to the wall, right?!?!
Don't shoot..I'm only kidding.
I try to tell everyone when they say 'I'm going to look around' that I'm not going to be the cheapest in town but I'll still be here when you want something done right and the guy down the road can't be found anymore.

Marlene

He told me that next time they'd have to compare my pricing with some other shops

sounds like he didn't feel like he got his money's worth out of the sign even with all the work you did to let him know what he was paying for. some people are just like that and it's no fault of your own, they are jerks. I bet he does the same in eveything he buys. they are the guys that go to the cheap motel and then complain about the room. they eat at a fast food restaurant and complain that the food wasn't very good. they expect to pay next to nothing and get more than they should.

speedmedia

I think it is just human nature to bitch about everything now... Everyone is looking for free handouts, it's the new American way. If you gripe and bitch the other party my give in..

Thanks,
Kurt

Techman

Its the common theme now. First teh companies all cried and made pay cuts. Then they are cried and demanded price cuts.

Now they are crying and demanding you work for free.

All the while we are all feeling the pinch and instead of making profit we are in the "do what it takes mode" to get a check.

threeputt

We've had the same thing. But don't these guys (who bitch and moan and complain) realize that they are lowering themselves (even if they pay their bils) into a lower class of customer?

I mean we have A accounts, B accounts and of course PITA accounts.

How do you feel when you see one of your PITA clients motor up to your shop and walk in the door? Does it give you a good feeling? Noooooo.

Contrast that with the feeling you get when a class A client comes in. The one that's easy to work for. You know, the kind of client that is polite, has their sh*t together, gives you a reasonable deadline, pays their bill, etc.?

Too many B clients could be A clients if they'd praise the work you did for them, pay their bill and skip the nagging. I mean these guys are going to pay anyway, but can't resist reminding you how much of a big favor they're doing for you by buying signs from you.

JR's

Believe me, you're not alone by any stretch of the imagination.

On the other hand, I've had far more people thank me for the work we did and the great prices.

I think most people just hate parting with their money.

Earlier this week, I did 180 decals of one size, 180 of another size, 75 of another size and 120 of a last size. All one color on white. Gave them a quote. It was Okayed, they sent me my PO# and we gave them the invoice. To me, I thought it looked like a lot of money for the little stacks of decals he got, but he thanked me for the great service and prices. To think I was contemplating lowering it a little.

Had another guy end of last week complain a little about the price of 100 Cor-X sign double sided. He said, well if it has to be it has to be, but I'm gonna shop around some more. This past Wednesday [only days after his last order] he ordered 300 more.... and still complained. I told him he was full of crap and then said... you know you can't get the service and price for this top quality anywhere else within 100 miles. He smiled and said, I know.... I just hafta ask.

Wow your my man Gino,

Don't swet it Pat thy are just giving you a hard time, trying to see if this is your first paper root. thy paid there bill.

low ballers & idiot beginers...............just screw up the business..............simply!!!!

aim men !

JR

TheSnowman

I've had the same. They say that they can get a way better deal somewhere else. That place doesn't have any reputation at all, they are the low baller, and no one in town likes how they deal with customers, however, they continue to go there because they are the cheapest. I am now ok with that. I used to get upset knowing that I'd lost someone else because of price, but I'm still in business (even though some days I wish I wasn't) and it is slowly getting rid of my bad customers that I thought I'd never survive without.

Billct2

you know the stainless steel screws is no joke, jhow many signs do you see with rust streaks 1 month later.
We do a lot of our install with blind fasteners which no one really seems to appreciate.

Bly

Your correct response would be to say " oh I'll sharpen my pencil next time" and quote the same way in future. I mean you got the job and the money right?

SignManiac

I just counter sunk stainless steel screws today in a sign that will never be seen or known about. So eff the deadbeats !

ddubia

You are certainly not alone Pat.

I think something that happens from time to time is that some customers don't buy signs regularly, some never have until now, and they have no idea if they've gotten their money's worth or not. Signs are not like widgets that are all exactly alike, made by the same manufacturer and they can see it in 5 different stores at slightly different prices so the decision is easy for them.

A sign is something that they can't see until it's made, sketch or not, so they feel they have nothing to compare it to and so they wonder about it's value. Some of them know nothing of stainless steel screws or blind fasteners. To them they assume they are all done that way so it's nothing special. Neither is your good service of special note because they assume the next guy will deal with them in the same manner. Same with materials. Most of them wouldn't know a professional design if they chipped their tooth on it.

When they deal with the lowballer and have rust running down the face of their sign in a couple of months, THEN they know, but it's too late. When the project is late and they can't get the guy on the phone, THEN they know. When they notice other signs that look appropriately designed for other business and compared to them their sign looks like it was designed by a fifth-grader, THEN they know. But then it's too late for them.

I'm not so sure the doubters or complainers are intentionally dicks. They just feel insecure in the decision they've made and wonder if they spent more money than they had to. Often they'll never know until they deal with a lowballer and see that you get what you pay for.

We have this happen to us as well. I guess it's our job to make them feel comfortable from the beginning. That's why we like potential customers to visit our shop. They can meet us personally and see that we're not always drunk :Big Laugh, they can see that we look like we know what we're doing. (We don't always but it looks good) and they can see our operation which proves we've been at it a long time. Usually when we get someone in the building we'll get that job.

Oh, sure, sometimes we lose them. When we do I chalk it up to the possibility that we may look too expensive for them from the get. Sometimes those folks are looking for a lowballer and are happy when they find one and will likely deal with them until one of them goes out of business.

Mainframe

I have had this happen many times, the last time was a hardware store owner, "huge store" told me if I charge 500 a day for sign removal, I damn well better be there for 8 hours! This was in front of about 6 other guys, Now mind you I stand 6'1" 270 & I bench press him & then some every morning before work, so I just looked at him & explained he was in desperate need to get these signs moved for a new building of his to go up, so I dropped everything to come there & help him, I looked him in the eye & told him that's my price for the truck, insurance, repair bills my skill & my time, do you want the signs taken down by me or not? If I am only here a portion of the day I will charge accordingly.

After some silence, he said take the damn signs down & walked away, I figured that was the last I would ever hear from them, but he came over to me after I was done & made nice & told me he understands about expenses, I was REAL close earlier to blowing a gasket & calling him a bunch of names he could not defend but I held my tongue. That was about 4 grand in business with him ago & boy am I glad I stayed cool, some times people pop off & they don't think I guess. Shrug it off Pat, even if they use another shop, they will come back to you, they know you will complete the job & do it professionally & will find it out sooner or later.

Malkin

Why discuss price AFTER the signs are paid for?

In addition to the issues you raised, I am getting really sick of customers that assume that we will bill them. You know, present them with the slip and they're like, "Oh, can you just send me a bill?"

So many reasons why this is wrong. Firstly, that is what credit cards are for... to buy things on credit. Secondly, a lot of these small companies pay their bills will the same checkbook that they are carrying around in their pocket! Thirdly, ask for terms before the transaction, not at the end! Anyways I could go on and on... I'm just glad I was able to finally hold my ground on the issue today and made a guy pay that had wanted me to bill his "home office" (like I want to go chasing $150, let HIM chase it and get reimbursed)

sorry to go off topic a little.

back to your regularly scheduled thread!