• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Why do illustrator drop shadows get saved at the same size as the artboard when converting to pdf.?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
3rd party illustrator file given as pdf. 3'h x 8'w with 975 blades of grass along the bottom at approx 2"h, each with its own drop shadow. The pdf reads each of those drop shadows as the full 3x8 @ 300 dpi. This actually "bloats" the file. Why are they not just slightly larger than the blades of grass? gotta be a setting that's being missed.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It might be the "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" setting when saving. Tell them to check that option and see if it helps. When it's unchecked, it makes a more efficient file but less editable.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
It might be the "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" setting when saving. Tell them to check that option and see if it helps. When it's unchecked, it makes a more efficient file but less editable.
I appreciate the input. I've tried this and several other things but always comes out the same way. I'm opening the pdf in illustrator and then save as pdf trying a different setting each time to no avail.
The kicker is that if I start from a new doc and create several small rectangles with drop shadows on a large artboard then save as pdf it comes out as expected i.e. individual little raster shadows.
One thing to note is that the artboard vs. canvas seems a little odd to me. I'm not very proficient with illustrator so...
Here I have the artboard tool selected but can't figure out what the other "box" is. Can't select it. I've covered over the upper part of the design. You can see the grass on the bottom though.

1695917401059.png

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
are you sure they created the file in illustrator? I have seen oddities from other programs that produce wonky PDFs. I have also never seen that outer box before and I have been using Illustrator since version 88

myront

CorelDRAW is best
are you sure they created the file in illustrator? I have seen oddities from other programs that produce wonky PDFs. I have also never seen that outer box before and I have been using Illustrator since version 88
I think you're right, Doc. lol
Maybe it wasn't designed in illy. Something definitely "wonky" in the file.
If I go ctrl+a (select all) it says 227.5417w x 227.5417h. If I marquee select just the artwork it says 96.5178w x 34.5052h. So I copy, create a new doc at 97w x 35h then paste, then save as pdf. BAM! It's as it should be.
So, I go back to the orig marquee select just the art, "cut", select all and delete then paste the art back. Now when I select all it doesn't include that box but still doesn't save to pdf correctly.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
raster shadow effects generally don't import or open well if they were not created in Illustrator to begin with. Or if the customer saves down the file to an older Illustrator format it loses it's ability to be edited because newer effects are not compatible with older versions of the software so it gets dumbed down

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've run into this before as well... Sometimes I find it easier to just delete and recreate the shadow but that can depend on a number of factors.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
There's a number of things that don't import well from platform to platform. These are things for which there are no standards and each of them is proprietary to the platform that created them. Things like gradients, transparencies, drop shadows, and even outlines/strokes, as well as others which don't come immediately to mind.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
The pdf reads each of those drop shadows as the full 3x8 @ 300 dpi. This actually "bloats" the file.
It would be interesting to see a screen shot of the element and tool you’re using along with the readout of the measurement because, for me, using Illustrator’s direct-selection tool and Acrobat’s preflight analyzer has always shown the expected size of raster elements.

So far as file “bloat,” how are you gauging this?

One thing to note is that the artboard vs. canvas seems a little odd to me. I'm not very proficient with illustrator so...
Here I have the artboard tool selected but can't figure out what the other "box" is.
The overall Illustrator canvas size you’re seeing is the previous and common limit of Adobe PDF maximum dimensions using Illustrator. It’s always been there but fully revealed when Illustrator introduced their multiple art boards feature many years ago. Rather recently though, Adobe answered user requests to increase the size dimensions limit. So, now available, is their “large-scale” canvas 100 X larger than before.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
It would be interesting to see a screen shot of the element and tool you’re using along with the readout of the measurement because, for me, using Illustrator’s direct-selection tool and Acrobat’s preflight analyzer has always shown the expected size of raster elements.

So far as file “bloat,” how are you gauging this?

The overall Illustrator canvas size you’re seeing is the previous and common limit of Adobe PDF maximum dimensions using Illustrator. It’s always been there but fully revealed when Illustrator introduced their multiple art boards feature many years ago. Rather recently though, Adobe answered user requests to increase the size dimensions limit. So, now available, is their “large-scale” canvas 100 X larger than before.
Yeah, thanks, kinda figured that part out. Also figured out that the blue anchor points are part of guides. I can marquee select those anchor points and delete 'em but still doesn't make a difference when saving as pdf. Only if I copy and paste to a new doc.

Piersqsw

In Adobe Illustrator, when you apply a drop shadow effect to an object, it can sometimes be set to a resolution that's higher than necessary, leading to larger file sizes. Here are a few steps you can take to potentially address this issue:

Check the Document Settings

Reduce Shadow Resolution

Export as PDF with Compression

Use Illustrator's "Save As" Feature

Rasterize the Drop Shadows

So let the adventure begin!
Remember that file size issues can sometimes be complex and may require a bit of trial and error to find the best solution. It's always a good practice to communicate with the original creator of the file if possible to ensure that settings and expectations align.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Usually, when I see 227"x227" in the size box there are hidden guidelines in the file that got saved.
Maybe it's not your issue, but once I clear those invisible guides, the size matches the artboard.