• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why do some people think they own the sign industry?

danky01

What really burns me about this business is, the guys that think they own this industry. Even tho you spend thousands of dollars to buy equipment, hire employees, buy supplies and lease a store front, they still think you shouldn't be in business. They think you are taking their customers and dollars. The truth is, if they would learn to advance with technology they wouldn't have anything to worry about.

I once had a guy that worked for me, he had a degree in graphic arts. The guy couldn't even turn on a computer much less design something. It burned him up that I owned the shop he worked for, because I didn't have a college degree. It didn't matter to him that I started working at 14 when my dad died and that I earned my way with my sweat and taught myself what I needed to know to do every job in my shop myself. Every single piece of equipment I own I paid cash for, NOTHING in my shop is financed. It was all paid for with my sweat. So when you guys think you own this industry, I don't think so, my little piece of it was paid for with MY sweat.

John Butto

Just read where the London Kentucky police swat team had to storm some guy's sign shop and take him down. He was reported to be drinking all through the forth of July holiday and was holding some old guy hostage and ranting about nobody owns him. He was taken to the hospital for observation and evaluation.

danky01

Just read where the London Kentucky police swat team had to storm some guy's sign shop and take him down. He was reported to be drinking all through the forth of July holiday and was holding some old guy hostage and ranting about nobody owns him. He was taken to the hospital for observation and evaluation.

Yeah, they wouldn't know what a swat team was if they saw one. I should have known, New Jersey. HA HA HA Come on down south and let us show you some good old southern hospitality, might even find a jug of that good ole homemade paint thinner.

Craig Sjoquist

Probably has alot to do with ego, & nothing or little to back it up with, you find all kinds after all in this business we sell to people that work for a living, making money off others, that need us to make more, so it is easy to assume that after getting my great outstanding design & the business goes through the roof in sales, That I must be the super sign man. lol

You see it all the time in any trade, this is what makes the world so great everybody is different & handle everything so different.

Best I can say do not look at others as how they are, just look at yourself & be the best you can be.

I have a few friends that have ate them self's up by looking at others what they do or don't do. & It does not make them any better in anyway.

danky01

Probably has alot to do with ego, & nothing or little to back it up with, you find all kinds after all in this business we sell to people that work for a living, making money off others, that need us to make more, so it is easy to assume that after getting my great outstanding design & the business goes through the roof in sales, That I must be the super sign man. lol

You see it all the time in any trade, this is what makes the world so great everybody is different & handle everything so different.

Best I can say do not look at others as how they are, just look at yourself & be the best you can be.

I have a few friends that have ate them self's up by looking at others what they do or don't do. & It does not make them any better in anyway.

Thanks Craig for the reply. It just gets to me sometimes to read the snippy post some put on here when someone new ask a question. Sometimes, it seems like if you were born after 1950 and didn't have an artist brush in your hand when you were born, you don't belong in this industry. :) Thanks, have a good weekend.

round man

Might there be some personal insecurity that you are in denial of that is the source of your problem? people can only push your buttons if you let them,....if you feel so securely entrenched in this industry how is it these individuals and their attitudes bug you? surely you have enough sense to understand there are some things in life you cannot change and that people will never act the way you want them to,....

edited to add,...the truth will anger folks twice as fast as a lie will ,...they can brush aside the lie as a falsehood,...

Billct2

What really burns me about this business is, the guys that think they know this industry because they spend thousands of dollars to buy equipment, hire employees, buy supplies and lease a store front, and they still think you should help them run their business. They are taking our customers and dollars. The truth is, if they had taken the time to learn to layout a decent design, fabricate it and install it they wouldn't have anything to worry about.