Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you call lexel silicone?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Notarealsignguy, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    So I wanted to be a realsignguy and ordered some lexel to see what the hype was about. I've always used 3m 5200 and sikaflex for bonding. This isn't silicone. Did I buy the wrong stuff? If not, why does everyone compare it to regular silicone, which typically won't stick to crap? IMG_20200929_210250.jpg

Tags:
  2. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber

Lexel is awesome. I gave up on silicon years ago and started using power grab until Lexel came along. Lexel is thicker with more initial holding power and doesn't dry out and get brittle like construction adhesives. Because it stays flexible, it can handle materials with dissimilar expansion coefficients. The only downside is that it's harder to clean up the squeeze-out then power grab or silicone.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Notarealsignguy

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    I wish I would have known that it's not actually silicone. I have always turned my nose up at it because silicone is a terrible adhesive and never understood why everyone thought it was great. Now it makes more sense

4. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Level is the best. Silicone smells like crap and doesn't stick well.

5. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    ....whereas Lexel smells like crap and does stick well. :D

It actually smells just like model glue - the glue that came with model cars. Which makes sense because it welds/etches just like model glue used to.

That being said, I've never seen it referred to on the forum as silicone.....just a superior alternative.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I will be the odd-man out and say I will never use Lexel again, I tried it on several projects and was
    extremely disappointed every time. It's next to impossible to clean up & I set letters, came back 48 hours later
    & it still wasn't set/dried.

7. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    That 3M 5200 you mentioned, that stuff really adheres to things. Messy though. Whats the difference in price between 3M 5200 and a tube of Lexel?

8. Notarealsignguy

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    About 10 bucks but we have been using bostik 940 and 940FS (fast set) which is about the same price as lexel. It works just as good as 5200 and just as messy. I always wear gloves with it.

9. Moze

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, you kind of have to be aware of that going in. It takes a while to fully set up. It's definitely not a quick grab solution. Silicone sets up much faster. But if you have something acrylic or polycarbonate that will stay in place while the Lexel sets up, once the Lexel DOES cure, no one is going to get it off easily.

I guess the best example I can think of is a heavy tape-mounted acrylic panel. The tape alone may easily hold it in the short term but may start to sag over the long term. Lexel is perfect for that.

10. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I agree, we use the lexel/tape combo often

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Team Joe does not approve of Lexel either

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  12. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Should have used "TrumpTack 2020b".

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  13. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    when you say silicone doesnt stick to crap, what crap are you referring to? I tried Lexel and Im not a fan, I will stick to silicone as it has never failed me. The ONLY time it failed was when there was a huge bad bacth released and you could tell as soon as it came out of the tube

14. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I don't mind the smell of Lexel. You can clean it up with rapid remover.

15. a77

a77 Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Canada
    Good stuff - hard to clean for sure, so it's tougher if you are doing small letters.

16. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Maybe you're not using the 'right' silicone. GE Silicone I is a great adhesive for most stuff. Don't get the regular silicone II sealant stuff. For metal signs we use Lord 810 Signlok.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    i still LOVE silicone, aside from functionality my main draw is that I can get tubes for under $4, whereas Lexel/PowerGrab tubes are $7-10ea.
    obviously it doesn't work in every single situation, as we have different solutions for different situations, but I'd say we go through about 1000 tubes of silicone every year and that makes a HUGE difference.

18. Moze

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Agreed - I rarely need the Lexel, but it's always on the van. The maority of what I install is with silicone.

I mainly use Lexel for acrylic or polycarbonate signs in specialty situations (heavy signs, signs subject to tampering or theft, etc) since silicone adheres poorly to bare, smooth acrylic and polycarbonate.

Lexel isn't good for immediate grab. It is however, once cured, excellent for ensuring a sign won't go anywhere unless a prybar of some sort is used.