• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why does my blade wear out so fast - Versacamm

Drip Dry

I keep changing blades and they wear out as fast as I can change them.
I bought 2 packs of OEM blades. 1 directly from Roland and one from my local supplier.
I don't remember which one is which, but they are labeled 1) "45 degree" and another that says "offset .25" (this one has Japanese writing on it. maybe .25 is a 45 degree blade)

When I put a new one in, I have to set the blade pressure at about 140 ( seems high)
After a few cuts, I have to start increasing the pressure . Right now it's at 265

I also noticed that when it cuts, it cuts unevenly. Some parts of the cut is great, and some parts of it didn't cut through enough.

I'm using mostly Oracal 3651 with oracal 210 laminate

Can anybody help

VTG

When I put a new one in, I have to set the blade pressure at about 140 ( seems high)
After a few cuts, I have to start increasing the pressure . Right now it's at 265

140 is high, but 265 ??? holy cow, you must be cutting deep into the cutting strip at that force, no wonder the blades are wearing out fast. Our Versacamm will cut those substrates easily at about 100 gf ... in fact, anything over 160 and we'd be cutting all the way through the backing paper.

2B

the cutting strip without a doubt. the blade holder (best to get the alloy one) should also be replaced.

no way that much pressure is needed even for the really thick stuff

Drip Dry

Maybe it is the cutting strip. I've never changed it in the 7 or so years I had it.
Is it difficult to change ?
I would also change the blade holder if it will help. Can that be done by me or do I need a tech for these things ?

I cut with pressure between 195-220. only had to replaced the blade twice in the last 2 years. Never have problems with the cutting strip or with cutting through the backing. I do notice the first file i cut after the blade change i have to turn it down a bit but it doesn't last long enough to be outside my normal range. OEM 45 blades.

DizzyMarkus

I used to be around 90 -- after getting the Kleen Kut blades I now am cutting @ 55 :0)

How far is your blade sticking out of the holder?

Markus

ams

Don't use 45 degree blades on print/laminate vinyls. Use a 60 degree blade at 130 - 150 (depending on mil thickness), that will trim through the vinyl and laminate with ease and not damage your cutting strip.

SIGNTIME

couple of things make sure the blade only sticks out about the thickness of a credit card from the blade holder, change your cutting strip it cost around $15 and is easy (just make sure you get all of the old adhesive out), then i would change the holder. when i get a new blade my pressure is 70g for 751 or 7125 cut vinyl and about 120g for 3551 lamed with 210 but they do seem to dull down for a week or two until they kinda are "broke in" then im at 120g for 751 and 180g for 3551+210 .... also make sure your getting fresh blades as some sell resharpened blades

Drip Dry

OK, ordered new blades, cutting strip and alloy blade holder.
Of course, the cutting strip is not in stock. Should have it next week

gnatt66

just changed my blade for the second time ive owned my printer..4+ years. unlamed 50. 3165ra and 210- starts at 150 and ends up around 200-205. i slow down the cutter to '15' in VW when i'm contour cutting print/lam. works like butter. 45deg blades.