• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Why does this happen?

Annette Asberg

So it's me again with my questions.
Today when I was printing on Britelines perforated 50/50 I used BL-WP 50/50 as the profile and it seemed to melt. Why would it?
16043636387942431398890933926960.jpg

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Those are head strikes. If you can raise the head to accommodate thicker material give that a try first, otherwise lower the temperature by a few degrees to reduce media warping under the heat.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Check what is the amount of Vacuum for that profile?
Then add more, lets say +20 to that. You can do it while printing.

To me it does seem like it is touching the top part of the heater so make sure you have a bit of lead before starting the print if this was in the beginning.
If that is the case and the carriage does not seem to be touching/it's not lifting up from the platen, take a few degrees of the heater and follow that it will cure properly. If it doesn't you can add a bit of interpass delay, lets say 100ms.

jimbug72

+1 to what Sign me up graphics said. Briteline perf is prone to pucker a little off the liner on our SP540i when the heat is too high. Not to discount what balstestrat said but when it happens on ours, only the vinyl puckers, the release liner stays flat so increasing the vacuum doesn't help but lowering the heat does.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
On the small latex 5xx series, briteline works well...but need to turn the heat down lower and add 400-600 ms of interpass delay to allow proper drying. Increasing the vac helps some...but its mostly heat. It creates wrinkles and buckling that telescopes backwards towards the print area. If the heat is too high, it will also rub on the heating element area you can't see.

Annette Asberg

Check what is the amount of Vacuum for that profile?
Then add more, lets say +20 to that. You can do it while printing.

To me it does seem like it is touching the top part of the heater so make sure you have a bit of lead before starting the print if this was in the beginning.
If that is the case and the carriage does not seem to be touching/it's not lifting up from the platen, take a few degrees of the heater and follow that it will cure properly. If it doesn't you can add a bit of interpass delay, lets say 100ms.
It did not hit the top of the heater. I believe that it is as SignMeUpGraphics said, that it is a headstrike because it came up right after the printer had printed. I will lower the heat and go from there. I am not sure about how to raise the head on my HP Latex 365 but I will Google it to see if I can do it.

Annette Asberg

I Googled it and it is not possible to raise the heads so I will lower the heat and go from there. Thank to you all for your answers :)

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Correct...you can't raise the heads. The heat is causing the material to buckle and telescope backwards. Just lower your heat and give it the interpass delay setting to get it enough heat and air to dry. You should be fine by doing that. I don't know the exact temp we use...I want to say 92° on 8 pass with 400-500 ms delay.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
If you think its a head strike then number one solution is always to increase vacuum first. Only play with heat if that doesn't solve it.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
+1 to what Sign me up graphics said. Briteline perf is prone to pucker a little off the liner on our SP540i when the heat is too high. Not to discount what balstestrat said but when it happens on ours, only the vinyl puckers, the release liner stays flat so increasing the vacuum doesn't help but lowering the heat does.
You can see from the holes that the liner has the same amount of ink as the perf so it's not separating. If it was separated it wouldn't have the ink in the holes like that.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Briteline is one of our go-tos. Its heat thing. The perf doesn't de-laminate from the backer....the entire thing buckles from the heat.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Yeah we occasionally get a head strike on perf or other briteline material. If it's bumping near the sides of the media, be 110% sure that it's feeding off the roll as straight as possible (you can feed it out a bit at the start to get an idea for it). When we just started, sometimes we were crooked and it made a significant difference.

jimbug72

You can see from the holes that the liner has the same amount of ink as the perf so it's not separating. If it was separated it wouldn't have the ink in the holes like that.

Briteline is one of our go-tos. Its heat thing. The perf doesn't de-laminate from the backer....the entire thing buckles from the heat.

I stand corrected. I had always just assumed that the vinyl tunneled away from the liner. Now that I think about it, I can't come up a good reason why I thought that...I just did.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I stand corrected. I had always just assumed that the vinyl tunneled away from the liner. Now that I think about it, I can't come up a good reason why I thought that...I just did.
It's true some do that. Pretty much the usual, the cheaper you go...