• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why does valuejet printer say ink is out when cart seems 1/3 full?

Subysti

Basically the title is the question. VJ-1324 will give me an ink low warning. I will keep printing until it stops saying the ink cartridge is empty. When I replace it the old cart seems to have plenty of ink still left in it. How does it measure the amount of ink? Is it by what it thinks it used, is there are sensor in the cartridge, the chip? How can I used all the ink? using GRS ink cartridges that previous owner was using.

unclebun

The low ink warning is to prompt you to buy a new cartridge so that you will not be caught without when it runs out. There is always a little ink left in the cartridge when it trips the empty signal. That's to keep the printer from running dry.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
These machines only guess at how much ink is being used. The smart card on the cartridge is programed with the size of the cartridge. When the printer prints and cleans, it subtracts a specific amount off the card based on how much the machine thinks you used. The machine will flag the cartridge as empty by two methods. One is the card hits 0. The other way is there is another sensor that reads a little flag that pops out of the cartridge when it is truly empty. When the that sensor trips, it sets the smart card to 0. The reason you still have ink in the cartridge is because the machine is not using as much ink as it thinks. The main culprit is a bad maintenance station.

Last edited:

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Subysti Solventinkjet is correct that the printer most likely marked the chip wrong. If this is a continual thing than it does point to the maintenance station not functioning correctly. If this is one of our cartridges give our office a call and we can get out a new chip. If the printer winds up needing service let us know and we can help out with that as well.

Subysti

Thanks everyone. I have already ordered a new maintenance station but its on a very slow boat from who knows where. Been 2 weeks now. I opened up one of the old cartridges and its at least 1/2 full still. These are cartridges that came with the printer when I bought it used but were still sealed so i guess I can't call that dealer and complain. Someone told me that the VJ-1324 can't use 440ml carts so I was wondering if its a programming thing in the printer and its going to stop at 220 thinking that's the biggest cart it can use.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The Vj1324 on older firmware versions can accept a 440 cartridge but it has issues like not emptying the whole cartridge. It doesn't stop at 220 but it does have issues emptying the whole thing. VJ1324s on the current firmware will reject 440 cartridges.

Subysti

Solventinkjet Does this mean I shouldn't even look at the bulk 1 liter systems? Am I better off just buying 220's if it will use most of the ink? Although I don't know if what you say is true as I have the current version according to mutoh V2.07 and the 440s work but just doesn't use all the ink, seems like 1/2 maybe a little less is left in the carts.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It looks like the latest version is 3.05 according to my info. I usually don't recommend bulk systems unless you really use the ink. If you don't use a lot then I would stick with the 220 cartridges. That being said, if you do decide to go with the bulk system, Mutoh's system is pretty reliable compared to others.

Subysti

Well OK then. I checked on Mutohs website and it said the file to download was 207. Anyways, it seems like its doing this for all the carts. Is there anyway to use the ink in these? I have a couple of each and it seems a waste to toss what seems like half full 440 carts. Its a few hundred bucks if each is still half full.

cterrell92

Mutoh sent me new chips to replace my old ones registering as empty. Try contacting them and see if they will replace yours while you’re waiting on parts.