• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why I ask so many questions

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 4.45.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 4.50.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 4.51.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 4.51.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 4.46.04 PM.png I have had a some customers tell me that I asked too many questions. So I have lost a few orders and customers.

I guess they don't want to bother taking the time to provide more info with each order placed. So what happens if I don't ask questions and the order is done incorrectly?

These are but a few examples I compiled from my Facebook page illustrating why I do so.

There are so many more. I will get a whole business card scan. Some people what everyhing done, while others only want the logo. Some will send me art with gradients and complex effects when all they really want is a simple cuttable file. Fonts can be tricky too. Are close substitutes ok or must it match exactly?

There are dozens of other examples but you get the picture. The more work I have to do the higher the cost. So why not save some of the setup costs and answer a few questions or be specific when the order is placed?

It does not happen too often and I think most appreciate the communication. I rarely have to redo a job and there are no issues with language barriers.

BALLPARK

The details are key... Those that do not understand that will learn one day.

Never had to have you redo a design and your work is always on point. You ask what you need to know to make it happen. Don't change a thing...

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I feel your pain. We get bad logos all the time and even after contacted the company directly they still give me bad art files. I'm talking about ones that I can't find on Brands Of The World or in a pdf somewhere. I've even had conversations with the United States Air Force Heraldry office for squadron logos and they still send me bad art. I used to do this stuff when I was active duty and worked closely with the agency that kept detailed files on every emblem complete with color codes and do's and don't etc. Once my office got shut down all those documents and digital files got thrown out and/or destroyed. Much harder to find vector art anymore

Marlene

It is impossible for you to know that a bad rough looking file is what it is suppose to look like unless the customer tells you. Any customer that you've lost because you've asked a question is an idiot as you are the "Vector Doctor" not Eric the mind reader ;)

ams

I refuse to sell a customer any sign with choppy graphics or lettering. Some sign shops use retrace and then go to print. The end result is puke.
I will make sure you get all of the details you need from me.

Shepherd

I 100% agree with asking questions...

My biggest pet-peeve, is when customers don't know what they want, but damn well know what they don't want.

I had a customer come in a tell me she wanted business cards that illustrate that they are downstairs in the rear. She couldn't quite figure out what she wanted to describe, so I told her I would come up with something.
Sure enough I come up with a fairly nice set of stairs in a circle. It was simple but looked good and got the point across. Boy was she pissed that I didn't know what SHE WANTED.

I have learned and continue to learn that customers that don't know what they want are usually the ones you do triple the work for....or you tell them to come back when they know what they want.

Ask questions, and if they dont want to answer the questions they get 2 choices. Put a deposit or come back when you know what you want.

Anyways,

Happy Thursday.

Shep

BobM

I always appreciate you questions as they save me money and I always get the just what I need. Thank you for asking and for the ALWAYS fine work you do.

signbrad

I 100% agree with asking questions...

Me too.

Once, a salesman who did not ask enough questions gave me a job to create a layout for a shoe store. All he said was the customer wanted something "sexy." What is sexier than high heels, right? The salesman agreed. My design, which I thought was quite compelling, was instantly rejected. During the conversation with the client, how did my salesman miss the fact that the business was a men's shoe store?

Brad in Kansas City

JimmyG

I ask a lot of questions also....i gotta know period if you want quality work...I had a manager client tell me last week "you don't worry about that, just do what we ask you to"...pppffft....

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Customer tells me they're going to send a pdf file for print. After working out the type of substrate I ask "what size would you like it to be". Customer's reply "it's already sized" hmmmm....I will ask again