Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I ask so many questions

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by The Vector Doctor, Sep 27, 2018.

1. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 4.45.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 4.50.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 4.51.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 4.51.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 4.46.04 PM.png I have had a some customers tell me that I asked too many questions. So I have lost a few orders and customers.

I guess they don't want to bother taking the time to provide more info with each order placed. So what happens if I don't ask questions and the order is done incorrectly?

These are but a few examples I compiled from my Facebook page illustrating why I do so.

There are so many more. I will get a whole business card scan. Some people what everyhing done, while others only want the logo. Some will send me art with gradients and complex effects when all they really want is a simple cuttable file. Fonts can be tricky too. Are close substitutes ok or must it match exactly?

There are dozens of other examples but you get the picture. The more work I have to do the higher the cost. So why not save some of the setup costs and answer a few questions or be specific when the order is placed?

It does not happen too often and I think most appreciate the communication. I rarely have to redo a job and there are no issues with language barriers.

Tags:
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. BALLPARK

BALLPARK Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Radford, VA
    The details are key... Those that do not understand that will learn one day.

Never had to have you redo a design and your work is always on point. You ask what you need to know to make it happen. Don't change a thing...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    I feel your pain. We get bad logos all the time and even after contacted the company directly they still give me bad art files. I'm talking about ones that I can't find on Brands Of The World or in a pdf somewhere. I've even had conversations with the United States Air Force Heraldry office for squadron logos and they still send me bad art. I used to do this stuff when I was active duty and worked closely with the agency that kept detailed files on every emblem complete with color codes and do's and don't etc. Once my office got shut down all those documents and digital files got thrown out and/or destroyed. Much harder to find vector art anymore

4. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    It is impossible for you to know that a bad rough looking file is what it is suppose to look like unless the customer tells you. Any customer that you've lost because you've asked a question is an idiot as you are the "Vector Doctor" not Eric the mind reader ;)

5. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I refuse to sell a customer any sign with choppy graphics or lettering. Some sign shops use retrace and then go to print. The end result is puke.
    I will make sure you get all of the details you need from me.

6. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Who in the world is using that artwork! Lol

7. Shepherd

Shepherd New Member

Sep 11, 2018
    v0h1t0
    I 100% agree with asking questions...

My biggest pet-peeve, is when customers don't know what they want, but damn well know what they don't want.

I had a customer come in a tell me she wanted business cards that illustrate that they are downstairs in the rear. She couldn't quite figure out what she wanted to describe, so I told her I would come up with something.
    Sure enough I come up with a fairly nice set of stairs in a circle. It was simple but looked good and got the point across. Boy was she pissed that I didn't know what SHE WANTED.

I have learned and continue to learn that customers that don't know what they want are usually the ones you do triple the work for....or you tell them to come back when they know what they want.

Ask questions, and if they dont want to answer the questions they get 2 choices. Put a deposit or come back when you know what you want.

Anyways,

Happy Thursday.

Shep

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    There are two local shops that use that kind of artwork, no joke

9. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I don't answer questions.

10. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Then you will never get on the Supreme Court apparently

11. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Do you suspect me of a crime?

Are you detaining me or am I free to go?

12. BobM

BobM Very Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Cape Cod
    I always appreciate you questions as they save me money and I always get the just what I need. Thank you for asking and for the ALWAYS fine work you do.

13. SellersSign&Design

SellersSign&Design Active Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Harrisburg, NC
    For anyone reading this thread and thinking of using the Vector Doctor, just answer his questions. He is extremely good at what he does and has helped me out quite a bit!

• Like Like x 1
  14. signbrad

signbrad Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Kansas City
    Me too.

Once, a salesman who did not ask enough questions gave me a job to create a layout for a shoe store. All he said was the customer wanted something "sexy." What is sexier than high heels, right? The salesman agreed. My design, which I thought was quite compelling, was instantly rejected. During the conversation with the client, how did my salesman miss the fact that the business was a men's shoe store?

Brad in Kansas City

15. JimmyG

JimmyG Premium Subscriber

Apr 1, 2005
    Register, GA
    I ask a lot of questions also....i gotta know period if you want quality work...I had a manager client tell me last week "you don't worry about that, just do what we ask you to"...pppffft....

16. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Customer tells me they're going to send a pdf file for print. After working out the type of substrate I ask "what size would you like it to be". Customer's reply "it's already sized" hmmmm....I will ask again